James B. Leverenz, M.D.
Position: Associate Professor
- B.S., Biology/Psychology, University of Washington, 1981
- M.D., University of Washington School of Medicine, 1985
- Resident, Neurology, New York Hospital/Cornell Medical Center, 1989
- Fellow, Neuropathology/Geriatrics, University of Chicago, 1992
- 2003-present Associate Professor, Depts. of Neurology and Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, University of Washington, Seattle, WA
- 1998-2003, Assistant Professor, Depts. of Neurology and Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, University of Washington
- 1996-1998, Acting Assistant Professor, Depts. of Neurology and Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, University of Washington
- 1992-1996, Acting Instructor, Dept. of Neurology and Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, University of Washington
- 1991-1992, Geriatric Fellow, Dept. of Pathology/Neurology, University of Chicago
- 1989-1991, Fellow, Department of Pathology/Neurology, University of Chicago
- 1986-1989, Resident, Department of Neurology, New York Hospital/Cornell Medical Center
- 1985-1986, Intern, University of Washington
- McMillan PJ, Peskind E, Raskind MA, Leverenz JB. Increased galanin receptor occupancy in Alzheimer's disease. Neurobiol Aging, in press
- Doherty MJ, Bird TD, Leverenz JB. Alpha-synuclein in motor neuron disease: an immunohistologic study. Acta Neuropathol, in press.
- Kraemer BC, Zhang B, Leverenz JB, Thomas JH, Trojanowski JQ, Schellenberg GD. Neurodegeneration and defective neurotransmission in a C. elegans model of taupathy. Proc Natl Acad Sci 100:9980-5, 2003.
- Bonner LT, Tsuang DW, Cherrier M, Eugenio CJ, Du Jennifer Q, Steinbart EJ, Limprasert, La Spada AR, Seltzer B, Bird TD, Leverenz JB. Familial dementia with Lewy bodies with an atypical clinical presentation. J Geriatr Psychiatry Neurol 16:59-64, 2003.
- Cook DG, Leverenz JB, Ericksen S, Roth RA, Schellenberg GD, Jin L-W, Kovacina KS, Craft S. Reduced hippocampal insulin-degrading enzyme in late-onset Alzheimer's disease is associated with apolipoprotein E-e4 allele. Am J Pathol 162:313-9, 2003.
- Leverenz JB, McKeith IG. Dementia with Lewy bodies. Med Clin North Am 86:519-535, 2002.
- Tsuang DW, Dalan AM, Eugenio CJ, Steinbart EJ, Bird TD, Leverenz JB. Familial dementia with Lewy bodies: a clinical and neuropathological study of two families. Arch Neurol 59:1622-1630, 2002.
- Leverenz JB, Agustin C, Tsuang D, Peskind ER, Edland S, Nochlin D, Bowen J, McCormick W, Teri L, Raskind MA, Kukull W, Larson EB. Clinical and neuropathological characteristics of hippocampal sclerosis: a community based study. Arch Neurol 59:1099-1106, 2002.
- Shie FS, Jin LW, Leverenz JB, LeBeouf RC. High-cholesterol feeding exacerbates Ab deposition in female b-amyloid precursor protein (APP) transgenic mice. NeuroReport 13:455-459, 2002.
- Husseman JW, Hallows JL, Bregman DB, Leverenz JB, Nochlin D, Jin L-W, Vincent I. Hyperphosphorylation of RNA polymerase II and reduced neuronal RNA levels precede neurofibrillary tangles in Alzheimer's disease. J. Neuropathol Exp Neurol 60:1219-32, 2001.
- Leverenz JB, Miller MA, Dobie DJ, Peskind ER, Raskind MA. Increased alpha-2 adrenergic receptor binding in locus ceruleus projection areas in dementia with Lewy bodies. Neurobiol Aging 22:555-561, 2001.
- Clark AF, Steely HT, Dickerson Jr JE, English-Wright S, Stropki K, McCartney MD, Jacobson N, Shepard AR, Clark JI, Matsushima H, Peskind ER, Leverenz JB, Wilkinson C, Swiderski RE, Fingert JH, Sheffield VC, Stone EM. Glucocorticoid induction of the glaucoma gene MTOC in human and monkey trabecular meshwork cells and tissues. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 42:135-140, 2001.
- Szot P, Leverenz JB, Peskind ER, Raskind MA. Tyrosine hydroxylase mRNA expression in Alzheimer's disease locus coeruleus. Mol Brain Res 84:135-140, 2000.
- McMillan PJ, Leverenz JB, Dorsa DM. Specific downregulation of presenilin 2 gene expression is prominent during early stages of sporadic late-onset Alzheimer's disease. Mol Brain Res 78:138-145, 2000.
- Lim A, Tsuang D, Kukull W, Nochlin D, Leverenz J, Peskind E, Raskind M, Larson B. Clinic- neuropathological correlation of Alzheimer's disease in a community sample. JAGS 47:564-569, 1999.
- Tsuang D, Larson EB, Bowen J, McCormick W, Teri L, Nochlin D, Leverenz JB, et al. The utility of apolipoprotein E genotyping in the diagnosis of Alzheimer's disease in a community-based case series. Arch Neurology 56:1489-1495, 1999.
- Leverenz JB, Yu CE, Schellenberg GD. Aging-associated neuropathology in Werner syndrome. Acta Neuropathol 96:421-424, 1998.
- Leverenz JB, Raskind MA. Early amyloid deposition in the medial temporal lobe of young Down syndrome patients: a regional quantitative analysis. Exp Neurology 150:296-304, 1998.
- Peskind ER, Leverenz J, Farlow MR, et al. Clinicopathologic correlations of soluble amyloid b-protein precursor in cerebrospinal fluid in patients with Alzheimer's disease and controls. Alz Dis Assoc Dis 11:201-206, 1997.
- Edland SD, Wijsman EM, Schoder-Ehri GL, Leverenz JB. Little evidence of reduced survival to adulthood of apoE epsilon 4 homozygotes in Down's syndrome. Neuroreport 8:3463-3465, 1997.
- Matsushima H, Peskind ER, Clark JM, Leverenz JB, et al. Protein changes during aging and the effects of long term cortisol treatment in macaque monkey lens. Optom Vis Sci 74:190-197, 1997.
- Tsuang D, Raskind MA, Leverenz JB, Peskind ER, Schellenberg G, Bird TD. The effect of apolipoprotein E genotype on expression of an autosomal dominant schizophreniform disorder with progressive dementia and neurofibrillary tangles. Biol Psychiatry 41:191-195, 1997.
- Borson, S, Leverenz JB. Basic Mechanisms in Neurodegenerative Disease: Implications for Behavioral Pathogenesis and Treatment. Semin Clin Neuropsychiatry 1:248-260, 1996.
- McMillan PJ, Leverenz JB, Poorkaj P, Schellenberg GD, Dorsa DM. Neuronal expression of STM2 mRNA in the human brain is reduced in Alzheimer's disease. J Histochem Cytochem 44:1215-1222, 1996.
- Frumkin LR, Patterson B, Leverenz J, Wolinsky S, Corey L. Infection of Macaca nemestrina brain by human immunodeficiency virus type-1. J Gen Virology 76:2467-2476, 1995.
- Bennett DA, Cochran EJ, Saper CB, Leverenz JB, Gilley DW, Wilson RS. Pathological changes in frontal cortex from biopsy to autopsy in Alzheimer's disease. Neurobiol Aging 14:589-596, 1993.
- Rye DB, Leverenz J, Greenberg SG, Davies P, Saper CB. The distribution of Alz-50 Immunoreactivity in the normal human brain. Neuroscience 56:109-127, 1993.
- Leverenz J, Sumi S. Parkinson's disease in patients with Alzheimer's disease. Arch Neurol 43:662-664, 1986.
- Cohen D, Eisdorfer C, Leverenz J. Alzheimer's disease and maternal age. JAGS 30(10):656-659, 1982.
- Cohen D, Eisdorfer C, Prinz P, Leverenz J, Davis M. Immunoglobulins, cognitive status and duration of illness in Alzheimer's disease. Neurobiol Aging 1(2):165-168, 1980.