Blog Down to Washington UW Alumni Association Blog Down to Washington UW Woof!

Special insider’s guide to tailgating in 2010

Wondering what to do for tailgating this year? You are definitely not alone.

The south parking lot at Husky Stadium is under construction and closed due to the Sound Transit Project, meaning many UW fans will have to adapt to new surroundings in 2010. But tailgating is a college football tradition, and we’ll make it work. Here are some useful tips to help your Husky tailgate parties succeed.

Please share any comments about Husky tailgating in the comments section below.

What’s new in 2010:

• The “Montlake Lot” is now for Tyee Club members (season ticket holders) only. You may not park in this lot without a Tyee Club permit.
  • All public parking is on the main UW campus.
  • Parking rates have changed: $25 for vehicles with three or more persons; $30 for vehicles with two or fewer persons; $100 RV and vehicles with trailers.
  • RVs and vehicles with trailers must have an RV-specific parking permit prior to entry into any campus lot. Click here for more info.

Tailgating rules:

• BBQs and open flames are not allowed in any of the parking garages or enclosed parking structures including the Triangle Parking Garage, Central Parking Garage, Padelford Garage and West Campus Garage.
  • You may BBQ on the roof of the Padelford Garage only. This is not an option in all parking garages, but if there is sky above you at Padelford then you are in the clear.
  • Click here for all of the information on tailgating rules.

What the general public needs to to know:

• UPDATE 9/17: The ticket office says the parking lots will open at 6 a.m. for the Nebraska game. The UW says that waiting outside any of the parking facilities before they open will not be allowed. Whatever happens, be careful in those close quarters, respect your fellow Huskies, and have fun.

Keep reading for information on Tyee parking, campus maps and more.

What Tyee members need to know:

• Parking permits were allocated based on Tyee Club priority rankings. To see your priority ranking and learn how build on it, visit the Tyee site.
  • If you want to park in a group, all members of your group must have permits for the same lot. You also must park in the lot you have been assigned and drive in together. There is no saving spaces.
  • Shuttles for Tyee members are available from the E-1 parking lot to the North Plaza of Husky Stadium before and after the game. These are available three hours prior to kickoff and will run as long as needed.

More information:

• View a map of the new parking allocations on campus. (PDF)
  • See the official Husky football transportion site for all the latest info.
  • Tyee Club members can find more on the Tyee site.
  • Your game ticket gives you FREE service to and from Husky Stadium on all Metro buses and other special transit services. Learn more by clicking “other transportation” in the middle of the page.

To connect with a UW rep, email footballparking@ica.washington.edu or call Husky Football Parking at 206-685-3410.

FacebookTwitterShare

17 Responses to “Special insider’s guide to tailgating in 2010”

1. PurpleDrank wrote:
    September 8, 2010

I have a feeling people will be showing up before 11:30AM on Saturday. UW better have their sh*t together for us fans!

2. HUSKY FANATIC wrote:
    September 8, 2010

They better be open at 9:30AM….it’s already a frustrating situation, but if they think people don’t like to tailgate before 11:30 they’re crazy

3. Hello Dawg Fans wrote:
    September 8, 2010

Ticket office is saying lots open at 6am so they need to get their stories straight. This could turn bad fast. And as if we weren’t inconveinanced enough, they raise parking rates too.

4. Lebowski Dawg wrote:
    September 9, 2010

Let’s see, pretty much making it impossible for non Tyee members to tailgate, not having a clear message on when we can show up to the parking lot, and raising the parking prices.

Do you see what happens? Do you see what happens when you **** a stranger in the ***?

UW better keep an eye on the Corvette parked in front of the house!

5. TipsyMcStaggers wrote:
    September 9, 2010

It amazes me that the AD has been planning this for literally MONTHS and they still are so incredibly clueless about when stuff opens and how many people will show up. Has anyone who works for the Athletic Department actually SEEN how many people get there early?

6. bowdizzown wrote:
    September 10, 2010

Its truly gonna be a nightmare for the blue collar fan.for them to raise the prices is an even bigger slap in the face.its almost 24hrs until gametime..and me and my dozen or so friends have no idea where we can park,or what time we should leave??

• Derek Belt wrote:
      September 10, 2010

Maybe I can help. What exactly do you need to know? Where are you coming from? How many cars? Are you parking in the public lots on campus or do you have a Tyee designation? Let me know what your plan is and I’ll see what I can do.

7. Nikki wrote:
    September 11, 2010

10 to 14 Husker fans traveling to UW next week. We want to tailgate and walk to the game. Any recommendations on where? One possibly two cars. Thanks!

• Derek Belt wrote:
      September 13, 2010

Hi Nikki – Your best best is to park in the public lots on upper campus. It’s right near all of the pretty buildings and is about a 10-minute walk downhill to Husky Stadium. I’ve attached a map below that should give you a good idea where the lots are: you’ll want to park in N-1-, N-2, N-4 or N-5, which are in green here.

Lots open at 8 a.m.

Link to map: http://bit.ly/9F5BGU

Please let me know if you need more help. Enjoy the game!

8. Mike Utterstrom wrote:
    September 13, 2010

I’m extremely disappointed again regarding the parking situation in E1. At the Spring game I received a mail from the UWAA that tailgating was encouraged for the Spring game, upon arrival we were told by an usher that they did not want people to tailgate. Also, they did not place any porta potties in the lot. I would have hoped they would get their act together for the Syracuse, they did not…

I was already frustrated going in since we were relocated from E-12 last year but I understand the work needs to be done so that’s fine. What I don’t understand is why they there was such a miscommunication between the staff. The new ‘setup directly behind your car’ tailgate policy is ridiculous. If you want to portion of a section of the lot so people can get out easier fine but to go away from stack parking makes no sense to me, especially since both lots were stacked last year, and all the years prior.

We entered the lot and we asked where E-1A was, it was not marked and there was nobody checking at the entrance of E-1A. We setup at the southwest corner of E-1A around 10:30 AM, there were already several tailgates setup, some directly behind their vehicles and some setup off to the side spanning across multiple stalls. We setup our tailgate over 3 stalls right in front of a parking lot attendant. Several other attendants passed by over the next two hours, nobody said anything about our setup. We were approached by a woman who said she was in charge of the lot, over the next several minutes she tried to explain the tailgate policy to me, contradicting herself several times. She kept referencing a blue line in which the tailgate could not extend beyond however there was no line on the lot. When I asked her where the blue line was she said, “well…it should be here.” I then asked why none of her other attendants has said anything over the first two hours we had been there? “Well they don’t know what’s going on, I need to let them know better.” I’m sorry but this is unacceptable, they have had several months to plan for this and they could not educate their staff prior to the game? Also, all the parking stalls that border the southwest border of E-1A were completely empty as well as several stalls throughout the entire parking lot; it was a completely inefficient use of the stalls.

Saturday’s game is going to bring a much larger tailgating base, I hope that the on-hand staff is much more prepared then they were last week.

• Derek Belt wrote:
      September 13, 2010

Hi Mike – This is great feedback. Thank you for sharing. I will pass it along to our friends in Athletics. The more we understand about the situation in the parking lots, the better we can serve the fans moving forward. Thanks again. Go Dawgs!

9. Chris Murray wrote:
    September 14, 2010

I recognize you folks running this blog are just trying to do a service to get the word out about parking and tailgating this year. That said, I would hope you can pass the following on to the Athletic Department:

(1) Opening the lots 4.5 hours prior to gametime is simply too late. This is ESPECIALLY true given the relative scarcity of “tailgate-able” spots this year. My group and I (season ticket holders since our freshman year in 1998) routinely arrive by 7:00am for 12:30pm kickoffs. For a game like Nebraska, we’d ordinarily be there before dawn. This is a big part of the game-day experience and the Athletic Department is jeopardizing it.

(2) Although I am a Tyee Club member, it makes little sense to me that only Tyees with the highest priority get spots in E1 (Montlake). The E1 lot remained only partially full right up until game time last weekend against Syracuse. Unsurprisingly, this appears to be because it is largely the traditionally late-arriving fans (older Dawgs for whom tailgating is a little less a priority) that have enough Tyee points to get an E1 spot. I understand the desire to make supply equal demand, and the role of Tyee donations in that equation — but why not allow younger Tyees and those with less points purchase the right to an E1 spot with an additional donation on a per-season basis? Use the proceeds to provide older Tyees who don’t typically tailgate with shuttle transportation from Main Campus or West Campus to the stadium. For the record — my group was assigned Padelford this year, and that’s basically okay, but it kills me to see Montlake half empty 2 hours before kickoff because folks who don’t even want to tailgate were assigned those spots.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and pass it on. Hopefully things will be better this weekend, but I’m not terribly optimistic after reading your 9/13 update.

Go Dawgs.

• Derek Belt wrote:
      September 14, 2010

Hi Chris – Also great feedback. Thank you. It’s important to hear from fans like you and I will pass this along ASAP. Enjoy the game!

10. N. Buck wrote:
    September 16, 2010

Are the lots for the Nebraska game still going to open at 8am? Have they thought about opening it earlier as this will be the biggest game of the year and tailgating seems to be especially “important” for this game??
    Thank you!

• Derek Belt wrote:
      September 17, 2010

Just heard back from the Ticket Office and gates will open around 6 a.m. tomorrow morning. That’s different than what was previously reported but good tailgaters looking to go early. Go Dawgs!

11. Mark wrote:
    October 4, 2010

Wow..this is good information to pass along. Thanks!

12. Piper wrote:
    December 7, 2010

Hey that’s a great pic of my friends and I! Go Dawgs!

My Student Life Blog:
    fraiche-air.blogspot.com

Blog Down to Washington is full of stories & conversations about the University of Washington community, curated by your friends at the UW Alumni Association.

Featured Posts: