Blog Down to Washington UW Alumni Association Blog Down to Washington UW Woof!

Harry the Husky gets a stylin’ new makeover

Meet the new Harry. Same as the old Harry.

Well, not exactly.

Did you know there is a new Harry the Husky on campus? The UW’s most visible mascot (sorry Dubs) has retired and in his place steps a brand new Harry. The new guy is sleeker and far more ferocious. I just had to say that.

The torch has been passed and the transition is complete. Say hello to the University of Washington’s new Harry the Husky. I wonder what Dubs thinks…

FacebookTwitterShare

22 Responses to “Harry the Husky gets a stylin’ new makeover”

1. Alison Koop wrote:
    October 14, 2010

Harry, you and Dubs resemble each other so much more closely now! Love your new look.

2. Vomit N. Indamouth wrote:
    October 15, 2010

I puked. Thanks for ruining my dinner.

3. Rick Osterhout wrote:
    October 15, 2010

Perhaps this was vetted on a broad basis, however I’m surprised that a majority supported the new look.

• Derek Belt wrote:
      October 15, 2010

Hi Rick – Lots of strong feelings about this one. I’m going to pass along the Facebook comments, it’s only fair. Maybe we can get a guest blog post from the Athletic Department for Blog Down to Washington.

4. schmidty wrote:
    October 15, 2010

I want a refund of our AD donations if this is what we are funding.

5. Huskies, not Racoons wrote:
    October 16, 2010

God awful. Don’t you people ever learn? Just like the last logo, which instantly became known as the weasel. This THING is a RACOON. Put it down with a gun.

6. Huskies, not Wolves or raccoons wrote:
    October 16, 2010

This looks terrible!! Plus the fact that UW Tacoma and UW Bothell BOTH got mascots that resemble Harry in the past year (Bothell’s Hollie) and two years ago (Tacoma’ Hendrix), and now Seattle had to change the look seems really bitter and mean. Now the three campuses have different looking mascots. What happened to University unity throughout the Tri-Campus?? This is ridiculous.

7. Pat wrote:
    October 17, 2010

The new Harry looks like a burn victim with a shrunken head. IS NOTHING SACRED?!?!?!?!?!?!?

8. Edna Walker wrote:
    October 18, 2010

Yea, it looks like a racoon with too much eye makeup. Plus, there is no continuity in the mascot. Are we different schools or ONE school?

9. Donald Trump wrote:
    October 18, 2010

Even I have a better toupee than this!

10. Disgruntled Dawg wrote:
    October 19, 2010

The new mascot is just sad and cartoon-ish; who determined that it was time for a ‘change’? The AD over there needs to wake up. Mascot change, colors that aren’t purple and gold anymore…next up black uniforms. Have we no sense of tradition at the University any longer?

11. Culture change. wrote:
    October 19, 2010

The AD actually supported this??? This mascot looks cowardly. Culture on campus supports weak things like this? Absolutely pathetic.

UW should also give a stylin’ makeover to the Huskies name to accommodate with this new mascot. How about the Washington Creepy and Cowardly Raccoons?

12. Concerned Parent wrote:
    October 19, 2010

Our family went to the game on the ninth, and I still have to deal with my children having nightmares from that new mascot. Little Bobby wakes up in cold sweats after being terrorized by that raccoon in his sleep. We won’t be attending any more games until that thing is removed from the sporting events.

13. iWASahusky wrote:
    October 21, 2010

Do we now have to change our names to the Washington Raccoons? What idiot thought this up? PLEASE burn that costume and bring back the old one.

14. DAWGFOREVER wrote:
    October 21, 2010

Really people??? Wow, it’s just a costume for goodness sakes! I think the new Harry looks fabulous. Harry needed an update. The old costume was looking worn out. And Harry does not look like a racoon, he looks just like Dubs the Husky dawg! The new Harry is awesome! Good job UW! GO DAWGS!

• Rudedawg92 wrote:
      November 30, 2010

It is not just a costume. It is a source of identy and pride for UW Alum and student and future students. This is a worse mistake than the purple helmets (BTW I thought the black uniforms were cool).

15. BowDown2UW wrote:
    October 21, 2010

FYI – All the other Pac-10 schools are mocking the new Harry mercilessly on their message boards…it’s pretty brutal. “He looks like an old meth’d out Teddy Ruxpin.” “That can’t be real.” “What’s with the doe eyes and cowardly smile.” I know the idea was to look more like Dubs, but he looks like a raccoon…a toothless, weak raccoon that lacks confidence. I’m a HUGE fan and supporter of Washington Athletics…I think the department has made a lot of great changes but this is not one of them.

16. Used2LikeHarry wrote:
    November 6, 2010

DO *NOT * LIKE THE NEW LOOK. Sorry to say — Oregon’s “RoboDuck” was a better choice than this horrid thing. Even my nieces said “Eww – what’s that?” when they saw the new “Harry”. BRING BACK THE OLD ONE!!

17. Tess wrote:
    November 28, 2010

I hate the new Harry. This is ridiculous. You can’t keep changing UW’s image, what happened to tradition? First you strip us of our logo and now Harry?? It is an insult to your loyal UW supporters..Bring back the old Harry!!!

18. Rudedawg92 wrote:
    November 30, 2010

My daughters love Harry (they always look for him so they can get a high five) and when they saw the new imposter they were shocked and outraged. Ever hear your 9 year old daughter say your mascot looks like a terd? Please Please Please change it back. You are eroding our brand equity and are making our school a laughing stock. No one can support that joke of a mascot.

19. PurpleDrank wrote:
    July 18, 2011

Start over.

20. Jo wrote:
    November 6, 2011

I like it, it is hard to make a plush costume look good and this one is way better than the last, which looked more like a sick cougar. It also looks like dubs (who has a mask) so it works for me.

Blog Down to Washington is full of stories & conversations about the University of Washington community, curated by your friends at the UW Alumni Association.

Featured Posts: