Blog Down to Washington UW Alumni Association Blog Down to Washington UW Woof!

Apple Cup takes center stage – viewing party, anyone?

The Apple Cup. It’s the time of year when Huskies and Cougars just don’t mix. It’s the week for trash talk—when couples choose sides and office rivalries are born. It’s Washington vs. Washington State in the 103rd playing of the state’s premier rivalry.

Did we mention Martin Stadium in Pullman is named after a Husky?

If you’re not going to the game (it’s going to be cold over the there!) consider joining fellow Huskies for a viewing party near you. Hosted by UW Alumni Association volunteers nationwide, viewing parties are a great way to enjoy the game with those who share your passion for the purple and gold. In Phoenix, we’re meeting at the Firehouse Bar & Grill. In Atlanta, we’re at Central City Tavern. And in Cougar country (Spokane), we’re taking over C.I. Shenanigan’s.

See the complete list of viewing parties.

Believe it or not, we actually have a Cougar among us at the UW Alumni Association. I know! Names shall remain anonymous, but said individual once told me that he roots for the Huskies every day of the year except for one. And, honestly, I can respect that. Should be a fun game with a bowl game on the line for Washington.

Let me know if you need help promoting a viewing party in your area. I’ll post it on the UWAA’s social networking sites. Go Dawgs!

Photo by Rod Mar.

FacebookTwitterShare

8 Responses to “Apple Cup takes center stage – viewing party, anyone?”

1. Bigoldawg wrote:
    December 2, 2010

Shouldn’t you be *encouraging* Dawgs to go to the game? Yeah, it’ll be “cold,” but also partly sunny with little to no chance of snow anywhere between Seattle and Pullman.

Glad to hear of the viewing parties for those who can’t make it, but let’s see every Dawg that can possibly go PACK Martin Stadium with purple!

(Yeah, I’m going with other Dawgs–flying in from South Carolina tomorrow and making the drive. Hope to see a lot of fellow Dawgs there!)

• Derek Belt wrote:
      December 2, 2010

Wow, flying in from South Carolina! That is true Husky pride. There’s always a strong contingent of Huskies at the Apple Cup in Pullman and we’re expecting a rowdy crowd with a bowl game on the line.

If you’re looking for a place to party before the game, the UWAA is hosting a Washington Warm Up with food, booze and plenty of purple. It’s $10 if you’re a UWAA member and $15 if not (join today!) – plus, it’s inside and is going to be warm and cozy.

See the Warm Up details here.

2. Bigoldawg wrote:
    December 2, 2010

Thanks Derek–don’t know if we’re going to do the Warm Up as we normally tailgate, but I’ve been to Warm Ups before and you do a great job.

I fly in for every home game and make a couple of road games each year–there goes the Tyee money but it’s still worth it to see my Dawgs in person!

3. Ben wrote:
    December 3, 2010

If you like being around RABID DAWG FANS and are within 30 miles of Tacoma…. Come to the 48th Street Pub & Grill to watch the Dawgs! We are at 4629 South Yakima Ave Tacoma WA 98408. Only 6 blocks East of the Tacoma Mall. Come in and watch the Dawgs kick some…….

• Derek Belt wrote:
      December 14, 2010

Hi Ben –

Let us know if you’re hosting a viewing party at 48th Street for the Holiday Bowl. We can help you promote it.

Derek

• Ben wrote:
        December 20, 2010

You bet we’ll be having a Holiday Bowl Party for the Dawgs. I’ll be at the game but my wife will be hosting the party at the pub. Please contact me at 253-312-0822 or bhiatt01@gmail.com.

Thanks

Ben

4. Six Figure Program wrote:
    September 3, 2011

I have recently started a site, the information you provide on this site has helped me greatly. Thank you for all of your time & work. “The murals in restaurants are on par with the food in museums.” by Peter De Vries.

5. Austin Locksmith wrote:
    September 5, 2011

Very interesting points you have observed , appreciate it for putting up. “Lefty Wise guy dont carry wallets, they carry their money in a roll….beaner on the outs” by Donnie Brasco.

Blog Down to Washington is full of stories & conversations about the University of Washington community, curated by your friends at the UW Alumni Association.

Featured Posts: