ALUW Executive Board Meeting, April
Present: Carole Svensson, Lisa
Oberg, Eileen Llona, Matthew Parsons, Linda
Whang, Joe Kiegel, Thom
Salary issues/Storti Lawsuit
- Carole and Lisa are going to have a meeting with
Provost Wise on May 4th.
They plan to ask for matching funds equal to what was passed in the
state legislature. They will bring
documentation showing that librarians have typically received raises along
with faculty and excerpts from the Salary Survey Committee report.
2. ALUW Bylaws Changes?
- The group discussed creating two more Board
positions: Past-President and Jr. Secretary (2 yr. term similar to Jr.
- The group also discussed inclusion of CUH librarians
Salary Survey Report (Joe Kiegel, Thom Deardorff)
- The report should be made available to the membership
at least 2 weeks prior to the Spring
meeting. It will be posted on the
ALUW web site before the next ARL salary report is published.
- Structure of the program at the Spring meeting:
- Main charge of the committee (“Was Charles accurate?”)
- Goal = discussion and next step(s) for a salary
- Better data on compression is needed (compression effects
few/salary effects all).
Compression is mentioned in the Salary Survey Report, but it was
not the focus. The scope and issue
is much more complicated than salary – do we need a Salary Subcommittee to
look into just compression?
Distinguished Librarian Award
- Volunteer committee or ALUW Board?
- Looked at the UC systems and others for ideas
- Attempt to get award going for next year in
conjunction with UW awards (December deadline)
Agenda for Spring Meeting
- Business meeting
- Passing of gavel and election results
- Council reports
- Distinguished Librarian Award
- Salary Survey Report
- Intro and Summary by Joe and Thom
- Break into small groups to discuss following
How do we measure
What one thing
should ALUW work toward next? “If ALUW
could do one thing next year…?”
To what level of
energy do we want ALUW to be involved as a membership? (Get a show of hand for willing volunteers.)
Submitted by Matthew Parsons