ALUW Board Meeting, August 18, 2009
Present: Serin Anderson, Stephanie Lamson, Deb Raftus, Siôn Romaine, John Vallier
This was the first meeting of the executive board for 2009-2010.
2009-2010 Incoming Board Members are:
- President: John Vallier, Media Center, UW Seattle
- Vice President/President Elect: Siôn Romaine, Serials Acquisitions, UW Seattle
- Secretary: Stephanie Lamson, Preservation, UW Seattle
- Senior Trustee/Treasurer: Deb Raftus, Reference & Research Services Division, UW Seattle
- Junior Trustee: Serin Anderson, Budget & Collection Resources Librarian, UW Tacoma
2008-2009 Outgoing Board Members are:
I. What is ALUW and what has it been doing?
- President: Louise Richards, Fisheries-Oceanography Library
- Vice President/President Elect: John Vallier, Odegaard/Media Center
- Secretary: Gail Kouame, Health Sciences Library
- Senior Trustee/Treasurer: Anna Sveinbjornsson, Reference & Research Services Division
- Junior Trustee: Deb Raftus, Reference & Research Services Division
John had the group quickly read the mission, by laws, and the Nadal History of ALUW.
John also provided an overview of some of the ALUW's recent activities as well as some ongoing areas
of concern voiced by ALUW members past and present (salary issues, faculty status, unionization, family leave/pay parity).
Discussed status of the following committees:
- Faculty Councils & Committees: positions all filled except for Women in Academia (Deb volunteered to serve)
- Legislative Committee: ask Louise if she will form a committee?
- Salary Compression Committee
- Race & Gender Salary Study Committee
For both the Salary Compression and Race & Gender studies, need to check re: outcomes, future plans,
and if the committees provided administration with a letter.
II. What should we do?
Discussed ideas for the upcoming year including:
- Membership drive (September?)
- Membership survey (poll membership for priorities)
- Update status of committees (legislative/salary/race & gender)
- Investigate interest in faculty status and/or unionization
- Investigate family leave/pay parity
- Investigate UW Librarian salaries/faculty status/benefits in regional/national context
- Update current website and/or create a new site on staffweb
Return to ALUW