I. Betsy Darrah opened the meeting by welcoming the new members & passed out the agenda.
II. CURRENT ISSUES:
A. Librarian & Professional Staff Salary Allocation
Betsy Darrah, Joe Kiegel & Jill McKinstry met with the Vice Provost Steve Olswang, June 5th to discuss Joes' suggestion to request more salary funding to bring librarians to the same level relative to our peer institutions as the faculty. Joe prepared some statistics which will be updated for current figures by the v-provost's office. There is an appointment 6/19 with Provost Thorud to discuss the same issue. Joe and Jill will present the case for increased raise.
B. ALUW representation on Faculty Councils
It was also suggested that the ALUW board meet with the appointees to clarify roles & determine a variety of appropriate means for reporting, depending on need. More discussion at September meeting of the ALUW board.
III. ORGANIZATIONL ISSUES
A. Call for committee memberships
Betsy will put out a call for committee volunteers
B. By-Laws Revision
Anke had identified some items needing revision, i.e., Faculty Senate committee ex-officio membership needs to be addressed. Another possibility is some criteria for nominations to Faculty Senate committees.
C. Distribution of Minutes
There was discussion of whether to distribute ALUW board minutes to all librarians, as there is a perceived need to better manifest the work done by ALUW and its board. Possibilities were discussed: internet, web pages on Tahoma, etc.
It was decided that the minutes should be mounted as part of a web site ALUW home page on Tahoma. Nina will do the HTML mark-up & Jill will help Nina get them loaded on Tahoma. It was suggested to include the ALUW by-laws & draft revisions.
D. ALUW Brochure
This brochure is given to new librarians and those who would like more information about ALUW. It was suggested that it be included in the annual request for donations.
Anne Zald had done the previous brochure and passed the diskette on to Betsy Darrah. Betsy turned the diskette over to Nina.
IV. BOARD PORTFOLIOS -- Review (See By-Laws)
Betsy distributed a copy of the current by-laws to each board member. The various job descriptions were reviewed (Article 6.)
V. OTHER BUSINESS:
It was noted (Article 9) that there is a minimum requirement of one quarterly meeting. In the past year there was one program per month, either a brown bag, or the quarterly meeting. Betsy who was in charge of programs has a list of the past year's activities which will be filed with the archives.
There was discussion about how to arrange the quarterly meeting such that the business part of the meeting does not take so much time out from the program. It was suggested to move the business meeting up a bit:A starting Refreshments at 3PM or a bit earlier & the business meeting at 3:15 PM.
Future Program suggestions:
--King County & Seattle Public Library Systems
--Intellectual freedom & Harmful to minors legislation
--Computer Professionals for Social Responsibility
VI. FUTURE MEETINGS -- Time & Place
It was decided that lunch meetings seemed to work well, at least for the time being. The next meeting will be Thursday, September 14, 1995 at 12:30 PM, place to be decided later. (Tuesday & Wednesday will not work due of Betsy's & Kari's schedules.)
The meeting adjourned at 12:50 PM.
Please send any corrections or additions to the minutes for updating.
--Nina Chambers, Interlibrary Borrowing Service 206.543-1899
Return to Minutes Index.