Wave-propagation algorithms for elastic waves in heterogeneous media are being applied to problems in shock wave therapy and lithotripsy.
Some links to our work:
- High-resolution finite volume methods for extracorporeal shock wave therapy,by K. Fagnan and R. J. LeVeque and T. J. Matula and B. MacConaghy. To appear in Proceedings of the Eleventh Int’l Conference on Hyperbolic Problems, Lyon, 2006.
- Randy LeVeque’s slides from Workshop on Multiscale Modeling, Analysis, and Simulations, Michigan State University, March, 2008
- Kirsten Fagnan’s slides from her General Exam, October, 2005.
- Kirsten’s webpage on ESWT
- Preliminary test of an acoustic pulse in water being focused by a brass reflector
- ESWT pulse propagating into an ankle (2d test)
- Acoustic pulse hitting a cylindrical stone (axisymmetric calculation)
Some other sites about ESWT and ESWL: