- Similar in architecture and concept to the existing Homer cluster
- Will use same psh as homer
- Diagram of Dante cluster architecture design
- Dante components:
- Compute servers: Dante01-32 (RS6000 E30, 2.1GB disk, 288MB RAM)
- Application servers: Beatrice01-03 (RS6000 E30, 2.1GB disk,
- Deskmail servers: Bp01-12 (RS6000 E30, 2.1GB internal, 2 X 2GB rack mounted high performance disks, 288MB RAM)
- File servers: Guido01-03 (RS6000 C20, 2 X 1.1GB internal,
6 X 4GB rack mounted high performance disks, 128MB RAM)
- Password server: Guido05 (RS6000 C20, 2 X 1.1GB internal,
2 X 2GB rack mounted high performance disks, 256MB RAM)
Guido05 will be replaced by a more powerful 39H with 512MB RAM in the
- Remote hot spare cluster made up
of one of each of the cluster server types will be included in
the overall architecture for disaster recovery
- Front door sits on 140.142.15.XX which is broken into
4 variable length subnets. i.e. gateway will not be 220.127.116.11
- Back door sits on a flat network 198.48.89.XX
NIM stands for "Network Install Manager"
- "If it ain't broke, why fix it?"
- AIX version 4 supports a much broader range of hardware than V3.
- V3 network install involved cramming all device drivers into 3 or 4 diskettes, not feasible to do so with V4
- In addition to network installs, NIM also offers centralized software
management, network boots of diagnostics and maintenence mode.
- Extra copies of NIM manuals in Kandi's office. Grab them today before
they are thrown out, or send email to Kandi to reserve a copy.
- One NIM master per NIM environment.
- NIM clients are machines that use NIM for system maintenence and
Cloning with NIM (overview)
- Need to define client machine to NIM master. Need to tell NIM network
hardware address in this step
- Then define client specific customization scripts to NIM. These scripts
are typically used to set the machine's IP address when the cloning procedure
- Allocate a set of resources to the client. e.g. the mksysb image of
the clone donor, the customization script, and the SPOT (shared product
- Put the master in a state ready for the client to initiate an install.
This step can be replaced with getting the master ready to serve a
maintenence boot image or a hardware diagnostics boot image.
- On the client, boot from IPL ROM
- Fill in the client's IP address, server's (master) IP address and
gateway IP address
- Initiate network boot on client. If all goes well, you will have a clone
machine of dante.