Justin B. Siegel
My scientific interests are in combining computational and experimental tools to develop a fundamental knowledge of enzyme catalysis, and applying those principles to design novel proteins of therapeutic or commercial interest. Outside of the lab I am enjoying life with my wife (Juliet), dog (JJ), and new baby girl, Josefina!
For more information about me please visit my linked in profile.
Peer Reviewed Publications
- Siegel J.B. et al. Computational design of an enzyme catalyst for a stereoselective bimolecular Diels-Alder reaction. Science 2010: 329: 309-313. DOI: 10.1126/science.1190239
- Wu S.J., Eiben C.B., Carra J.H., Huang I., Zong D., Liu P., Wu C., Nivala J., Dunbar J., Huber T., Senft J., Schokman R., Smith M.D., Mills J.H, Friedlander A.M., Baker D., Siegel J.B. Improvement of a potential anthrax therapeutic by computational protein design. JBC 2011: 286: 32586-32592. DOI: 10.1074/jbc.M111.251041
- Siegel J.B.*, Eiben C.B.*, Bale J., Foldit Players, Khatib F., Cooper S., Shen B.W., Stoddard B.L., Popovic Z., Baker D. Increased Diels-Alderase activity through FoldIt player guided backbone remodeling. Nature Biotechnology (2012). doi:10.1038/nbt.2109.
Patents and Company Bulletins
- Siegel J.B., Baker D, Lidstrom M, Lee A, Louw C. Systems And Methods For Biotransformation Of Carbon Dioxide Into Higher Carbon Compounds. Patent Filed September 2011. United States Application Number: PCT/US2011/051847
- Kashiyama Y, Yoshikuni Y, Baker D, Siegel J.B. Biofuel Production. United States Application Number: PCT/US2008/078844
- Baker D., Zangellini A., Siegel J.B., Saint-Clair J. Enzyme catalysts for diels-alder reactions. United States Application Number: PCT/US2009/065127
- Applied Biosystems Inc. Technical Bulletins (2001)
Crowdsourcing Computational Enzyme Design
Nature News: Victory for crowdsourced biomolecule design
CNET News: Crowdsourcing gamers best computers on protein folding
Bio Architecture Labs Featured on Cover of Science
Science Article: An Engineered Microbial Platform for Direct Biofuel Production from Brown Macroalgae
Nature News: Biofuel from beneath the waves
San Francisco Chronicle: Bio Architecture Lab sees seaweed in biofuels
Fortune Magazine/CNN Money: 4 new ways to solve the energy challenge
2011 UW iGEM Wins World Championship.
Decoding unselfishness - the double-helix of enthusiasm
Engineered critters bring 'world' title to UW team
UW team wins genetic-engineering contest
2011 UW Team Wiki
Science Careers profiling me and my father.
A Father-and-Son Journey Into Synthetic Biology
Computational design of an enzyme catalyst for a stereoselective bimolecular Diels-Alder reaction.
C&EN Cover Story: Chemical Year In Review 2010, Build Your Own Enzyme
Nature Methods, Research Highlights: Unnatural design
Synthetic enzyme catalyses Diels-Alder reaction
2010 UW iGEM Team Wins Best Health and Medicine Project
Undergraduates’ anthrax-killing protein wins international synthetic biology prize
2010 UW Team Wiki
2009 UW iGEM Team Wins Gold Medal
Gold, silver medals for UW teams in the International Genetically Engineered Machine competition
2009 UW Team Wiki