HHS/OIG/OAS Audit Internship
Position: Audit Internship
Academic Credit: Available
Business Type: Government
Application Deadline: 12/9/2013 (to earn academic credits for the winter quarter)
The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), Office of Inspector General, Office of Audit Services (OAS), conducts national audits to provide HHS, Congress, and the public timely, useful, and reliable information on significant issues within the Department. These audits focus on preventing waste, abuse, and mismanagement and promoting the economy, efficiency, and effectiveness of HHS programs, such as Medicare, Medicaid, Head Start, and Temporary Assistance for Needy Families.
We are looking for interns who will contribute to the ongoing audit work in the office. Responsibilities may include conducting background research on departmental programs and relevant legislation, helping design data collection instruments, conducting in-person and telephone interviews, conducting data analysis, completing data entry, writing summary documents, and participating in audit meetings. Some local travel may be required.
Desired Skills & Experience
- Candidates with analytical abilities and effective writing and oral communication skills are preferred.
- Interns should have strong quantitative and analytic skills (whether through coursework or on the job) and the ability to conduct research on health administration, public administration, health policy, social science, or similar areas.
- While not required, knowledge of HHS agencies, such as the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and the Food and Drug Administration, is helpful.
To be eligible to participate in the Student Volunteer Internship Program, the student must meet all of the following qualifications at the time of application:
- Must be a U.S. citizen.
- Must be enrolled or accepted for enrollment as at least a half-time student in a college or university.
- Must be at least 18 years old.
- Must be in good standing with their academic institution.
- Must agree to background and credit checks.
- Should be available to intern at least 12 hours a week.
- Should make a commitment to intern at least 12 weeks.
Click the “Apply Online” button below and upload your Cover Letter, Resume and unofficial transcript.