Nancy S. Jecker, PhD
Office: A-204P Health Sciences Building
Publications | Courses | Curriculum
Nancy S. Jecker, PhD is Professor of Medical Ethics
at the University of Washington School of Medicine, Department of Bioethics and Humanities. She is Adjunct Professor at the University of Washington
School of Law and Department of Philosophy, and Affiliate Professor, George Mason University, Institute for Philosophy and Public Policy. She received her PhD from
the University of Washington after first earning Masters degrees in
Philosophy from both the University of Washington and Stanford University.
Dr. Jecker has conducted research as a visiting scholar at the Stanford
University Center for Biomedical Ethics, the Stanford University Institute for Research on Women and Gender (now the Clayman Institute for Gender Research), the Georgetown University
Kennedy Institute of Ethics, and the Hastings Center. She was a visiting
fellow in Princeton University's DeCamp Program in Ethics and the Life
Sciences and was twice awarded Rockefeller Resident Fellowships, by
the University of Texas Medical Branch Institute for Medical Humanities
and the University of Maryland Institute for Philosophy and Public Policy.
Dr. Jecker is editor (with Albert Jonsen and Robert Pearlman) of Bioethics: An Introduction to the History, Methods,
and Practice, 3rd edition (Jones and Bartlett, 2011). She
is the author (with Lawrence Schneiderman) of Wrong Medicine: Doctors,
Patients, and Futile Treatment, 2nd edition (Johns Hopkins University Press,
2011) and of Aging and Ethics: Philosophical Problems in Gerontology (Humana Press, 1991). Dr. Jecker has authored over 100 articles and
chapters on ethics and health care. Her articles have appeared in The
Journal of the American Medical Association, Hastings Center Report,
Annals of Internal Medicine, The Journal of Medicine and Philosophy, The Encyclopedia of Bioethics, and
- Jecker, Nancy S., 2014 (Forthcoming). “Justice.” In: Bruce Jennings, Editor-in-chief, Encyclopedia of Bioethics, 4th Edition, New York: MacMillan Publishing Company.
- Jecker, Nancy S., 2014 (Forthcoming). “Aging and the Aged: Health Care for the Aging.” In: Bruce Jennings, Editor-in-chief, Encyclopedia of Bioethics, 4th Edition, New York: MacMillan Publishing Company.
- Jecker, Nancy S., 2014 (Forthcoming). "Aging and the Aged: Societal Aging." In: Bruce Jennings, Editor-in-chief, Encyclopedia of Bioethics, 4th Edition, New York: MacMillan Publishing Company.
- Jecker, Nancy S., 2014 (Forthcoming). “Why There Isn’t A Duty to Die.” Virtual Mentor: American Medical Association Journal of Ethics
- Jecker, Nancy S., 2013. “Justice Between Age Groups: An Objection to the Prudential Lifespan Approach.” American Journal of Bioethics, Target Article, 13(8): 3-15.
- Jecker, Nancy S., 2013. “The Problem with Rescue Medicine.” The Journal of Medicine and Philosophy 38(1): 64-81.
- Jecker, Nancy S. 2013. “Advance Care Planning and the Problem of Overtreatment.” In Susana McCune and Leah Rogne, editors, Advance Care Planning: Communicating About Matters of Life and Death (Springer Publishers).
- Jecker, Nancy S., 2012. “When the Patient Cannot Afford Care: Guidelines for Ethics Committees,” in Micah Hester, Toby Schonfeld, eds., Guidance for Healthcare Ethics Committees (Cambridge University Press): 122-129.
- Jecker, Nancy S., 2010. “Animal Subjects Research: Do Animals Have Rights?” In Gail Van Norman, Stephen Jackson, Stanley H. Rosenbaum and Susan K. Palmer, eds., Clinical Ethics in Anesthesiology: A Case-Based Textbook (Cambridge University Press).
- Jecker, Nancy S., 2008. “A Broader View of Justice.” American Journal of Bioethics, Target Article, 8(10): 2-10.
- Jecker, Nancy S., 2007. “The Role of Standpoint in Justice Theory.” The Journal of Value Inquiry 41(4): 165-182 and erratum published in The Journal of Value Inquiry 42(2): 269.