2021 Hybrid Virtual Offering! Register here.
This virtual conference employs the methods of ethical analysis taught in the Summer Seminar to analyze topics of special interest to surgeons, surgical residents & fellows, anesthesiologists, surgical nurses, physician assistants, social workers, and hospital administrators. The conference additionally introduces participants to skills and information sufficient to enable them to make competent ethical decisions in clinical situations.
A reimagined hybrid delivery has been specifically designed to accommodate participation from all arenas of healthcare. The format will incorporate asynchronous content, tailored to surgical specialties defining ethical principles and concepts, with a live online program on Wednesday, August 4, 2021, including multi-disciplinary small group discussions, designed to allow participants to better understand the ethical debates that bear upon each topic.
Summer Seminar & Surgical Ethics Conference Objectives:
- Identify fundamental concepts and principles for the understanding of ethical issues in clinical care
- Employ skills in decision-making for clinical cases that present ethical problems
- Discuss current issues and cases in health care ethics
UW Surgical Ethics Seminar Faculty include:
- Alberto R. Ferreres, MD, PhD, FACS (Hon.), ASA (Hon.) FCCS (Hon.), Professor of Surgery University of Buenos Aires, Chairman Department of General Surgery "Dr. Carlos A. Bocalandro" Hospital, and Clinical Professor, Department of Surgery, University of Washington
- Douglas E. Wood, MD, FACS, FRCSEd, The Henry N. Harkins Professor and Chair, Department of Surgery
- Denise Dudzinski, PhD HEC-C, Professor & Chair, Bioethics & Humanities