Biblical Hebrew at the University of Washington
Two full years of Biblical Hebrew are offered at the University of Washington in the Department of Near Eastern Languages and Civilization (NELC) in two three-quarter sequences (the second sequence typically includes one quarter of Biblical Aramaic). Each course is 5 credits. Successful completion of the first year sequence fulfills the College of Arts and Sciences foreign language requirement.
NELC incorporates coursework in Biblical Hebrew in its B.A. Program in Hebrew Bible and the Ancient Near East (HBANES). For further information on the HBANES program, see: http://depts.washington.edu/bibheb/. For a current course list, see: http://faculty.washington.edu/snoegel/courses.html.
The two year sequences of Biblical Hebrew are currently offered in alternate years, so students interested in taking Biblical Hebrew should carefully plan their schedules. The current schedule follows.
The Summer 2009 (A+B Terms) Intensive Elementary Biblical Hebrew course is the equivalent of the first-year 3-quarter sequence. Students who successfully complete the summer intensive course will be eligible to enroll in the second-year sequence beginning Autumn 2009.
Academic year 2008-2009
- Autumn Quarter: HEBR 414: Elementary Biblical Hebrew (I)
- Winter Quarter: HEBR 415: Elementary Biblical Hebrew (II)
- Spring Quarter: HEBR 426: Biblical Hebrew Prose
First-year sequence offered as intensive course:
- Summer Quarter, A+B Terms: HEBR 402: Intensive Elementary Biblical Hebrew
(15 credits: Equivalent of HEBR 414 + HEBR 415 + HEBR 426)
Academic year 2009-2010
Second-year sequence only:
- Autumn Quarter: HEBR 427: Biblical Hebrew Poetry
- Winter Quarter: HEBR 428: Inscriptions from Biblical Times
- Spring Quarter: ARAMIC 421: Biblical Aramaic
Academic year 2010-2011: First-year sequence
Academic year 2011-2012: Second-year sequence
Biblical Hebrew Learning Materials