Peer-Reviewed Journal Articles
- Anna Blazejewska, Sharmishta Seshamani, Susan Mckown, Jason Caucutt, Manjiri Dighe, Christopher Gatenby, Colin Studholme, "3D in utero quantification of T2* relaxation times in human fetal brain tissues for age optimized structural and functional MRI", Magnetic Resonance In Medicine, In press 2016.
- Kristina M. Adams Waldorf, Jennifer E. Stencel-Baerenwald, Raj P. Kapur, Colin Studholme, Erica Boldenow, Jay Vornhagen, Audrey Baldessari, Manjiri K. Dighe, Jeff Thiel, Sean Merillat, Blair Armistead, Jennifer Tisoncik-Go, Richard R. Green, Michael A. Davis, Elyse C. Dewey, Marian R. Fairgrieve, Chris Gatenby, Todd Richards, Gwenn A. Garden, Michael S. Diamond, Sandra E. Juul, Richard F. Grant, LaRene Kuller, Dennis W.W. Shaw, Jason Ogle, G. Michael Gough, Wonsok Lee, Chris English, Robert F. Hevner, William B. Dobyns, Michael Gale Jr., Lakshmi Ra, "Fetal Brain Lesions After Subcutaneous Inoculation of Zika Virus in a pregnant non-human primate," Nature Medicine, 2016.
- Sharmishta Seshamani, Anna Blazejewska, Susan Mckown, Jason Caucutt, Manjiri Dighe, Christopher Gatenby, Colin Studholme, "Detecting Default Mode Networks in Utero by Integrated 4D fMRI Reconstruction and Analysis", Human Brain Mapping, In Press, 2016
- Zwicker, J.G., Miller, S.P., Grunau, R.E., Chau, V., Brant, R., Studholme, C., Liu, M, Synnes, A., Poskitt, K.J., Stiver, M.L., Tam, E.W. "Smaller cerebellar growth and poorer neurodevelopmental outcomes in very preterm infants exposed to morphine", Journal of Pediatrics, Volume 172, May 2016, Pages 81-87.e2
- Mengyuan Liu, Averi Kitsch, Steven Miller,Vann Chau, Kenneth Poskitt, Francois Rousseau, Dennis Shaw, Colin Studholme, "Patch-based Augmentation of Expectation-Maximization for Brain MRI Tissue Segmentation at Arbitrary Age after Premature Birth", Neuroimage, Volume 127, 15 February 2016, Pages 387-408
- J. Pontabry, F. Rousseau, C. Studholme, M. Koob, J.-L. Dietemann, "A discriminative feature selection approach for shape analysis: application to fetal brain cortical folding", Medical Image Analysis, Volume 35, January , 2016
- Wang, Xiaojie and Pettersson, David R and Studholme, Colin and Kroenke, Christopher D,"Characterization of laminar zones in the mid-gestation primate brain with magnetic resonance imaging and histological methods",Frontiers in Neuroanatomy, 24 November 2015
- Colin Studholme, "Mapping the developing human brain in utero using quantitative MR imaging techniques", Seminars in Perinatology. Volume 39, Issue 2, March 2015, Pages 105-112.
- S. Seshamani, X. Cheng, M. Fogtmann, M. Thomason, C. Studholme, "A Method for Handling Intensity Inhomogenieties in fMRI Sequences of Moving Anatomy of the Early Developing Brain", Medical Image Analysis, Vol 18, Issue 2, February 2014, Pages 285-300
- M. Fogtmann, S. Seshamani, C. Kroenke, X. Cheng, T. Chapman, J. Wilm, F. Rousseau, M. Koob, J.-L. Dietemann, C. Studholme, "A unified approach to diffusion direction sensitive slice registration and 3D DTI reconstruction from moving fetal brain anatomy", IEEE Trans. Med. Imaging, Vol. 33, No. 2, February 2014
- C. Studholme, F. Rousseau, "Quantifying and modelling tissue maturation in the living human fetal brain", International Journal of Developmental Neuroscience, Volume 32, February 2014, Pages 3-10, ISSN 0736-5748
- J. Pontabry, F. Rousseau , E. Oubel, C. Studholme, M. Koob, J.-L. Dietemann,
"Probabilistic Tractography Using Q-Ball Imaging and Particle Filtering: Application to Adult and in-utero Fetal Brain Studies", Medical Image Analysis, Volume 17, Issue 3, Pages 297-310, April 2013.
- M. E. Thomason, M. T. Dassanayake, S. Shen, Y. Katkuri, M. Alexis, A. L. Anderson L. Yeo, S. Mody, E. Hernandez-Andrade, S. Hassan, C. Studholme, J. Jeong, R. Romero,
"Cross-Hemispheric Functional Connectivity in the Human Fetal Brain”. Sci Transl Med 5, 173, 2013
- A. Desai, K. Bekelis, V. M. Thadani, D. Roberts, B. Jobst, A. Duhaime, K. Gilbert, T. Darcey, C. Studholme, A. Siegel,
"Interictal PET and ictal subtraction SPECT: Sensitivity in the detection of seizure foci in patients with medically intractable epilepsy " Epilepsia;54(2):341-50 Feb 2013.
- F. Rousseau, E. Oubel, J. Pontabry, M. Schweitzer, C. Studholme, M. Koob, J. Dietemann,
"BTK: An open-source toolkit for fetal brain MR image processing" , Comput Methods Programs Biomed. 109(1):65-73 Jan 2013.
- J. Scott, V. Rajagopalan, P.A. Habas, K. Kim, A.J. Barkovich, O.A. Glenn, C. Studholme, " Volumetric and surface-based 3D MRI analyses of fetal isolated mild ventriculomegaly
Brain Struct Funct, 2012
- V. Rajagopalan, J. Scott, P.A. Habas, K. Kim, F. Rousseau, A.J. Barkovich, O.A. Glenn, C. Studholme, "Mapping
directionality specific volume changes using tensor based morphometry: An application to the study of gryrogenesis and lateralization of the human fetal brain," NeuroImage, Volume 63, Issue 2, 1 November 2012, Pages 947-958
- J. A. Scott, K. S. Hamzelou, V. Rajagopalan, P. A. Habas, K. Kim, A. J. Barkovich, O. A. Glenn, and C. Studholme, "3D morphometric analysis of human fetal cerebellar development," Cerebellum, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 761-770, 2012.
- P. A. Habas, J. A. Scott, A. Roosta, V. Rajagopalan, K. Kim, F. Rousseau, A. J. Barkovich, O. A. Glenn, and C. Studholme, "Early folding patterns and asymmetries of the normal human brain detected from in utero MRI," Cereb. Cortex, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 13-25, 2012.
- E. Oubel, M. Koob, C. Studholme, J.-L. Dietemann, and F. Rousseau, "Reconstruction of scattered data in fetal diffusion MRI," Med. Image Anal., vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 28-37, January 2012.
- F. Rousseau, P. A. Habas, and C. Studholme, "A supervised patch-based approach for human brain labeling," IEEE Trans. Med. Imaging, vol. 30, no. 10, pp. 1852-1862, October 2011.
- K. Kim, P. A. Habas, V. Rajagopalan, J. A. Scott, J. M. Corbett-Detig, F. Rousseau , A. J. Barkovich, O A. Glenn, and C. Studholme, "Bias field inconsistency correction of motion-scattered multislice MRI for improved 3D image reconstruction," IEEE Trans. Med. Imaging, vol. 30, no. 9, pp. 1704-1712, September 2011.
- B. Caldairou, N. Passat, P. A. Habas, C. Studholme, and F. Rousseau, "A non-local fuzzy segmentation method: application to brain MRI," Pattern Recognit., vol. 44, no. 9, pp. 1916-1927, September 2011.
- C. Studholme, "Mapping fetal brain development in utero using MRI: the big bang of brain mapping," Annu. Rev. Biomed. Eng., vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 345-368, August 2011.
- J. A. Scott, P. A. Habas, K. Kim, V. Rajagopalan, K. S. Hamzelou, J. M. Corbett-Detig, A. J. Barkovich, O. A. Glenn, and C. Studholme, "Growth trajectories of the human fetal brain tissues estimated from 3D reconstructed in utero MRI," Int. J. Dev. Neurosci., vol. 29, no. 5, pp. 529-536, August 2011.
- F. D. Jacob, P. A. Habas, K. Kim, J. M. Corbett-Detig, D. Xu, C. Studholme, and O. A. Glenn, "Fetal hippocampal development: analysis by magnetic resonance imaging volumetry," Pediatr. Res., vol. 69, no. 5, pp. 425-429, May 2011.
- V. A. Cardenas, L. L. Chao, C. Studholme, K. Yaffe, B. L. Miller, C. Madison, S. T. Buckley, D. Mungas, N. Schuff, and M. W. Weiner, "Brain atrophy associated with baseline and longitudinal measures of cognition," Neurobiol. Aging, vol. 32, no. 4, pp. 572-580, April 2011.
- E. W. Y. Tam, S. P. Miller, C. Studholme, V. Chau, D. Glidden, K. J. Poskitt, D. M. Ferriero, and A. J. Barkovich, "Differential effects of intraventricular hemorrhage and white matter injury on preterm cerebellar growth," J. Pediatr., vol. 158, no. 3, pp. 366-371, March 2011.
- V. Rajagopalan, J. A. Scott, P. A. Habas, J. M. Corbett-Detig, K. Kim, F. Rousseau, A. J. Barkovich, O. A. Glenn, and C. Studholme, "Local tissue growth patterns underlying normal fetal human brain gyrification quantified in utero," J. Neurosci., vol. 31, no. 8, pp. 2878-2887, February 2011.
- J. M. Corbett-Detig, P. A. Habas, J. A. Scott, K. Kim, V. Rajagopalan, P. S. McQuillen, A. J. Barkovich, O. A. Glenn, and C. Studholme, "3D global and regional patterns of human fetal subplate growth determined in utero," Brain Struct. Funct., vol. 215, no. 3-4, pp. 255-263, January 2011.
- P. A. Habas, K. Kim, J. M. Corbett-Detig, F. Rousseau, O. A. Glenn, A. J. Barkovich, and C. Studholme, A spatiotemporal atlas of MR intensity, tissue probability and shape of the fetal brain with application to segmentation," Neuroimage, vol. 53, no. 2, pp. 460-470, November 2010.
- P. A. Habas, K. Kim, F. Rousseau, O. A. Glenn, A. J. Barkovich, and C. Studholme, "Atlas-based segmentation of developing tissues in the human brain with quantitative validation in young fetuses," Hum. Brain Mapp., vol. 31, no. 9, pp. 1348-1358, September 2010.
- K. Kim, P. A. Habas, F. Rousseau, O. A. Glenn, A. J. Barkovich, and C. Studholme, "Intersection based motion correction of multislice MRI for 3-D in utero fetal brain image formation," IEEE Trans. Med. Imaging, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 146-158, January 2010 .
- K. Young, V. Govindaraju, K. Sharma, C. Studholme, A. A. Maudsley, N. Schuff, "Multivariate statistical mapping of spectroscopic imaging data," Magn. Reson. Med., vol. 63, no. 1, pp. 20-24, January 2010.
- N. Schuff, S. Matsumoto, J. Kmiecik, C. Studholme, A. Du, F. Ezekiel, B. L. Miller, J. H. Kramer, W. J. Jagust, H. C. Chui, and M. W. Weiner, "Cerebral blood flow in ischemic vascular dementia and Alzheimer's disease, measured by arterial spin-labeling magnetic resonance imaging," Alzheimer's and Dementia, vol. 5, no. 6, pp. 454-462, November 2009.
- V. A. Cardenas, D. J. Meyerhoff, C. Studholme, J. Kornak, J. Rothlind, H. Lampiris, J. Neuhaus, R. M. Grant, L. L. Chao, D. Truran, and M. W. Weiner, "Evidence for ongoing brain injury in human immunodeficiency virus-positive patients treated with antiretroviral therapy," J. Neurovirol., vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 324-333, June 2009.
- A. A. Maudsley, C. Domenig, V. Govind, A. Darkazanli, C. Studholme, K. Arheart, and C. Bloomer, "Mapping of brain metabolite distributions by volumetric proton MR spectroscopic imaging (MRSI)," Magn. Reson. Med., vol. 61, no. 3, pp. 548-559, March 2009.
- S. Hadjidemetriou, C. Studholme, S. Mueller, M. W. Weiner, and N. Schuff, "Restoration of MRI data for intensity non-uniformities using local high order intensity statistics," Med. Image Anal., vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 36-48, February 2009.
- C. Studholme, "Dense feature deformation morphometry: Incorporating DTI data into conventional MRI morphometry," Med. Image Anal., vol. 12, no. 6, pp. 742-751, December 2008.
- J. Blumenfeld, C. Studholme, J. Carballido-Gamio, D. Carpenter, T. M. Link, and S. Majumdar, "Three-dimensional image registration of MR proximal femur images for the analysis of trabecular bone parameters," Med. Phys., vol. 35, no. 10, pp. 4630-4639, October 2008.
- C. E. Rodriguez-Carranza, P. Mukherjee, D. Vigneron, A. J. Barkovic, and C. Studholme, "A framework for in vivo quantification of regional brain folding in premature neonates," Neuroimage, vol. 41, no. 2, pp. 462-478, June 2008.
- N. Schuff, T. C. Neylan, S. Fox-Bosetti, M. Lenoci, K. W. Samuelson, C. Studholme, J. Kornak, C. R. Marmar, and M. W. Weiner, "Abnormal N-acetylaspartate in hippocampus and anterior cingulate in posttraumatic stress disorder," Psychiatry Res., vol. 162, no. 2, pp. 147-157, February 2008.
- K. Strostrand, E. Rostrup, C. Ryberg, R. Larsen, C. Studholme, H. Baezner, J. Ferro, F. Fazekas, L. Pantoni, D. Inzitari, and G. Waldemar, "Sparse decomposition and modeling of anatomical shape variation," IEEE Trans. Med. Imaging, vol. 26, no. 12, pp. 1625-1635, December 2007.
- T. C. Durazzo, J. C. Rothlind, V. A. Cardenas, C. Studholme, M. W. Weiner, and D. J. Meyerhoff, "Chronic cigarette smoking and heavy drinking in human immunodeficiency virus: Consequences for neurocognition and brain morphology," Alcohol, vol. 41, no. 7, pp. 489-501, November 2007.
- V. A. Cardenas, A. L. Boxer, L. L. Chao, M. L. Gorno-Tempini, B. L. Miller, M. W. Weiner, and C. Studholme, "Deformation-based morphometry reveals brain atrophy in frontotemporal dementia," Arch. Neurol., vol. 64, no. 6, pp. 873-877, June 2007.
- V. A. Cardenas, C. Studholme, S. Gazdzinski, T. C. Durazzo, and D. J. Meyerhoff, "Deformation-based morphometry of brain changes in alcohol dependence and abstinence," Neuroimage, vol. 34, no. 3, pp. 879-887, February 2007.
- T. C. Durazzo, V. A. Cardenas, C. Studholme, M. W. Weiner, and D. J. Meyerhoff, "Non-treatment-seeking heavy drinkers: Effects of chronic cigarette smoking on brain structure," Drug Alcohol Depend., vol. 87, no. 1, pp. 76-82, February 2007.
- F. Rousseau, O. A. Glenn, B. Iordanova, C. E. Rodriguez-Carranza, D. B. Vigneron, A. J. Barkovich, and C. Studholme, "Registration-based approach for reconstruction of high-resolution in utero MR brain images," Acad. Radiol., vol. 13, no. 9, pp. 1072-1081, September 2006.
- B. Iordanova, D. Rosenbaum, D. Norman, M. W. Weiner, and C. Studholme, "MRI study of neurodegeneration: A robust volumetric parcellation method of the frontal lobe gyri with quantitative validation in dementia patients," Am. J. Neuroradiol., vol. 27, no. 8, pp. 1747-1754, September 2006.
- A. D. Leow, A. D. Klunder, C. R. Jack, A. W. Toga, A. M. Dale, M. A. Bernstein, P. J. Britson, J. L. Gunter, C. P. Ward, J. L. Whitwell, B. J. Borowski, A. S. Fleisher, N. C. Foxe, D. Harvey, J. Kornak, N. Schuff, C. Studholme, G. E. Alexander, M. W. Weiner, and P. M. Thompson, "Longitudinal stability of MRI for mapping brain change using tensor-based morphometry," Neuroimage, vol. 31, no. 2, pp. 627-640, June 2006.
- A. A. Maudsley, A. Darkazanli, J. R. Alger, L. O. Hall, N. Schuff, C. Studholme, Y. Yu, A. Ebel, A. Frew, D. Goldgof, Y. Gu, R. Pagare, F. Rousseau, K. Sivasankaran, B. J. Soher, P. Weber, K. Young, and X. Zhu, "Comprehensive processing, display and analysis for in vivo MR spectroscopic imaging," NMR Biomed., vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 492-503, June 2006.
- C. Studholme, C. S. Drapaca, B. Iordanova, and V. A. Cardenas, "Deformation-based mapping of volume change from serial brain MRI in the presence of local tissue contrast change," IEEE Trans. Med. Imaging, vol. 25, no. 5, pp. 626-639, May 2006.
- C. S. Drapaca, V. A. Cardenas, and C. Studholme, "Segmentation of tissue boundary evolution from brain MR image sequences using multi-phase level sets," Comput. Vis. Image Underst., vol. 100, no. 3, pp. 312-329, December 2005.
- S. Gazdzinski, T. C. Durazzo, C. Studholme, E. Song, P. Banys, and D. J. Meyerhoff, "Quantitative brain MRI in alcohol dependence: Preliminary evidence for effects of concurrent chronic cigarette smoking on regional brain volumes," Alcohol. Clin. Exp. Res., vol. 29, no. 8, pp. 1484-1495, August 2005.
- V. A. Cardenas, L. L. Chao, R. Blumenfeld, E. Song, D. J. Meyerhoff, M. W. Weiner, and C. Studholme, "Using automated morphometry to detect associations between ERP latency and structural brain MRI in normal adults," Hum. Brain Mapp., vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 317-327, April 2005.
- V. A. Cardenas, C. Studholme, D. J. Meyerhoff, E. Song, and M. W. Weiner, "Chronic active heavy drinking and family history of problem drinking modulate regional brain tissue volumes," Psychiatry Res. Neuroimaging, vol. 138, no. 2, pp. 115-130, February 2005.
- H. Blumenfeld, K. A. McNally, S. D. Vanderhill, A. LeBron Paige, R. Chung, K. Davis, A. D. Norden, R. Stokking, C. Studholme, E. J. Novotny, I. G. Zubal, and S. S. Spencer, "Positive and negative network correlations in temporal lobe epilepsy," Cereb. Cortex, vol. 14, no. 8, pp. 892-902, August 2004.
- C. Studholme and V. A. Cardenas, "A template free approach to volumetric spatial normalization of brain anatomy," Pattern Recognit. Lett., vol. 25, no. 10, pp. 1191-1202, July 2004.
- C. Studholme, V. A. Cardenas, R. Blumenfeld, N. Schuff, H. J. Rosen, B. Miller, and M. W. Weiner, "Deformation tensor morphometry of semantic dementia with quantitative validation," Neuroimage, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 1387-1398, April 2004.
- D. J. Meyerhoff, R. Blumenfeld, D. Truran, J. Lindgren, D. Flenniken, V. A. Cardenas, L. L. Chao, J. Rothlind, C. Studholme, and M. W. Weiner, "Effects of heavy drinking, binge drinking, and family history of alcoholism on regional brain metabolites," Alcohol. Clin. Exp. Res., vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 650-661, April 2004.
- N. J. Yue, J. P. S. Knisely, C. Studholme, Z. Chen, J. E. Bond, and R. Nath, "A technique to re-establish dose distributions for previously treated brain cancer patients in external beam radiotherapy," Medical Dosimetry, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 31-41, 2004.
- C. Studholme, V. A. Cardenas, E. Song, F. Ezekiel, A. A. Maudsley, and M. W. Weiner, "Accurate template-based correction of brain MRI intensity distortion with application to dementia and aging," IEEE Trans. Med. Imaging, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 99-110, January 2004.