Invent the future of global health at UW Bioengineering Summer Day Camp!
About the camp
The 2015 Bioengineering Summer Camp is a unique, 5-day experience for Seattle-area students entering the 9th or 10th grade in the next academic year. Campers will explore solutions to global health problems such as malaria and HIV, as well as learn central dogma of biology and engineering problem solving method. Together with bioengineering faculty, staff, and students, campers will participate in a hands-on environment that will explore how bioengineers are inventing the future of medicine.
Bioengineering Summer Camp will be held on the University of Washington Campus from July 20th-24th, 2015.
The camp is intended to serve students who live within commuting distance of the University of Washington in Seattle
Each day will begin at 9:00AM and conclude at 4:00PM. Students are responsible for their own transportation to and from the University of Washington. They will be provided with lunch and snacks each day.
How much does it cost?
Tuition is $500. A limited number of full and partial scholarships are available for students who meet eligibility requirements for free and reduced meals with Seattle Public Schools. See below for further information.
What will we do?
Learn how Bioengineers are tackling global health issues by exploring the engineering design process, techniques for detecting and treating diseases, and factors affecting access to healthcare.
- Participate in fun hands-on laboratory activities based on cutting-edge research by UW Bioengineering faculty
- Take a field trip to the Gates Foundation
- Visit UW Bioengineering laboratories
- Interact with UW Bioengineering students and faculty
How do I apply?
The application period for 2015 is now open! Applications are due by 5:00pm on May 8th, 2015
- Online Application
- 300 word max essay sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Prompt: Describe how you could bring a diverse perspective to the Bioengineering Summer Camp. Factors to discuss can include, but are not limited to: multi-cultural awareness, activities, or accomplishments; educational background and goals; living experiences, such as growing up in a disadvantaged or unusual environment; and special interests or talents.
- Successful essays will be clear, concise, and convey the applicant’s motivation for attending the UW Bioengineering Summer Camp.
- Letter of recommendation from your science teacher
Applicants who are accepted to Bioengineering Summer Camp will be notified by email. The acceptance package will include detailed information about the camp schedule, lab safety information that must be read prior to the first day of camp, and a release form to be signed by the applicant’s parent or guardian.
We will notify you if you have been awarded a scholarship.
Thanks to our generous donors, a limited number of full and partial scholarships will be available to students whose families meet the Seattle Public Schools eligibility criteria for free and reduced meals.
Please see the chart below to determine if your family qualifies.
Your family must make less than the income listed for family size in order to qualify.
Please contact the UW Bioengineering Summer Camp Director for more information about scholarships, or if you believe you/your child is eligible for a scholarship.
|Income Chart – Effective From July 1, 2014 to June 30, 2015|
|Family Size||Yearly Gross Income||Monthly Gross Income||Twice Per Month Gross Income||Every Two Weeks Gross Income||Weekly Gross Income|
|Each additional household member add:||+ $7,511||+ $626||+ $313||+ $289||+ $145|
Questions about the camp?
Contact BIOE Summer Camp Director Lucy Pick at email@example.com or (206) 685-2000.