Invent the future of global health at UW Bioengineering Summer Day Camp!
About the camp
The Bioengineering Summer Camp is a unique, 5-day experience for Seattle-area students who will begin the 9th or 10th grade after attending the camp. Campers explore solutions to global health problems such as malaria and HIV while learning about the engineering design process and basic principles of biology. Together with bioengineering faculty, staff, and students, campers will participate in a hands-on environment that will explore how bioengineers are inventing the future of medicine.
Bioengineering Summer Camp will be held on the University of Washington Campus from July 18-22, 2016.
The camp is intended to serve students who live within commuting distance of the University of Washington in Seattle.
Each day will begin at 9:00 a.m. and conclude at 4:00 p.m. Students are responsible for their own transportation to and from the University of Washington. They will be provided with lunch and snacks each day.
How much does it cost?
Tuition is $500. A limited number of full and partial scholarships are available for students who meet eligibility requirements for free and reduced meals with Seattle Public Schools. See below for further information.
Pending funding, a limited number of partial and full merit scholarships will be offered to a select number of applicants when admissions is offered. Each applicant will automatically be considered for this based on their written essay and teacher recommendation.
What will we do?
Learn how Bioengineers are tackling global health issues by exploring the engineering design process, techniques for detecting and treating diseases, and factors affecting access to healthcare.
- Participate in fun hands-on laboratory activities based on cutting-edge research by UW Bioengineering faculty
- Take a field trip to the Gates Foundation Visitor Center
- Visit UW Bioengineering laboratories
- Interact with UW Bioengineering students and faculty
How do I apply?
All application materials are due May 13th, 2016 at 5:00 pm.
- Online Application
- Application includes a short essay response (300 word max)
- Prompt: Describe why you are interested in Bioengineering and how you could bring a unique perspective to the Bioengineering Summer Camp. Factors to discuss can include, but are not limited to: activities or accomplishments, educational background and goals, living experiences, and special interests or talents.
- Successful essays will be clear, concise, and convey the applicant’s motivation for attending the UW Bioengineering Summer Camp.
- Letter of recommendation from your science teacher
Applicants who are accepted to Bioengineering Summer Camp will be notified by email the first week of June. The acceptance package will include detailed information about the camp schedule, lab safety information that must be read prior to the first day of camp, and a release form to be signed by the applicant’s parent or guardian.
We will notify you if you have been awarded a scholarship.
Thanks to our generous donors, a limited number of full and partial scholarships will be available to students whose families meet the Seattle Public Schools eligibility criteria for free and reduced meals.
Please see the chart below to determine if your family qualifies.
Your family must make less than the income listed for family size in order to qualify.
Please contact the UW Bioengineering Summer Camp Director for more information about scholarships, or if you believe you/your child is eligible for a scholarship.
|Income Chart – Effective From July 1, 2015 to June 30, 2016|
|Family Size||Yearly Gross Income||Monthly Gross Income||Twice Per Month Gross Income||Every Two Weeks Gross Income||Weekly Gross Income|
|Each additional household member add:||+ $7,511||+ $626||+ $313||+ $289||+ $145|
Questions about the camp?
Contact BIOE Summer Camp Director Kalei Combs at email@example.com or (206) 221-5448.