Eric H. Chudler, Research Associate Professor
Technology for Expanding Access to Heathcare
EducationPhD (psychology), University of Washington, 1985
BS (psychobiology), University of California, Los Angeles 1980
- Parkinson’s disease
- Science education and outreach
Contact InformationDepartment of Bioengineering
University of Washington
William H. Foege Building, Room N361
Seattle, WA 98195-1750
Web site: Neuroscience for Kids
Research DescriptionResearch interests focus on cortical and basal ganglia mechanisms of nociception and pain. Additional interests include how the cerebral cortex and basal ganglia process information from multiple sensory systems (multisensory integration). An under-standing of how these areas process sensory information may shed light on how the nervous system responds to environmental cues and how organisms make use of these cues to make appropriate behavioral responses. Moreover, research may lead to data concerning the etiology of Parkinson's disease and its potential treatment.
Teaching ActivitiesAs UWEB Director of Education and Outreach, Dr. Chudler is responsible for a variety of programs for K-12 students and teachers and undergraduate students.
- 2006–Research Associate Professor, University of Washington, Department of Bioengineering
- 2006–Adjunct Research Associate Professor, University of Washington, Department of Anesthesiology
- 1998–2006, Research Associate Professor, University of Washington, Department of Anesthesiology
- 1991–1998, Research Assistant Professor, University of Washington, Department of Anesthesiology
- 1989–1991, Instructor, Massachusetts General Hospital
- 1989–1991, Instructor, Harvard University, Medical School
- 1986–1989, Postdoctoral Fellow, National Institutes of Health (NIH), National Institute of Dental Research
- 1983–Teaching Assistant, University of Washington
- 1980–1986, Research Assistant, University of Washington
Honors and Awards
- 2006, MERLOT Award for Exemplary Online Learning Resources, Rohnert Park, CA
- 2006, Career Achievement Award, Faculty for Undergraduate Neuroscience, Slippery Rock, PA
- 2004, Web Award, Science & Technology Web Award, Scientific American
- 2003, Science Educator Award, Society for Neuroscience
- 2002, MERLOT Award for Exemplary Online Learning Resources
- 2002, Education Award, Association of Neuroscience Departments and Programs
- 2002, B. Raymond Fink Research Award, Department of Anesthesiology, University of Washington
- Chudler, E.H. and Dong, W.K. The role of the basal ganglia in nociception and pain. Pain, 60:3–38, 1995.
- Chudler, E.H., Sugiyama, K. and Dong, W.K. Multisensory convergence and integration in the neostriatum and globus pallidus of the rat. Brain Research, 674:33–45, 1995.
- Chudler, E.H., Anderson, L.C. and Byers, M.R. Trigeminal ganglion neuronal activity and glial fibrillary acid protein immunoreactivity after inferior alveolar nerve crush in the adult rats. Pain, 73:141–149, 1997.
- Chudler, E.H. Response properties of neurons in the caudate-putamen and globus pallidus to noxious and non-noxious thermal stimulation in anesthetized rats. Brain Research, 812:283–288, 1998.
- Chudler, E.H. and Bonica, J.J. Supraspinal Processing of Nociceptive Information, in Bonica's Management of Pain, 3rd edition, edited by J.D. Loeser, Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams and Wilkins, pp. 153–179, 2001.
- Chudler, E.H. and Anderson, L.C. Behavioral and electrophysiological consequences of deafferentation following partial ligation of the infraorbital nerve in adult rats. Arch. Oral Biol., 47:165–172, 2002.
- Cameron, W. and Chudler, E. A role for neuroscientists in engaging young minds. Nature Reviews Neuroscience, 4:763–768, 2003.
- Kindig, D., Affonso, D.D., Chudler, E.H., Gaston, M.H., Meade, C.D., Parker, R., Purcell-Gates, V., Rudd, R., Rootman, I., Scrimshaw, S.C. and Smith, B. Health Literacy: Prescription to End Confusion, edited by D. Kindig, A. Panzer, L. Nielsen-Bohlman and B. Hamlin, Washington, D.C.: National Academies Press, 2004.
- Chudler, E.H. and Byers, M.R. Behavioral responses following tooth injury in rats. Arch. Oral Biol., 50:333–340, 2005.
- Chudler, E.H. and Konrady, P., Visualizing neuroscience: Learning about the brain through art, Science Scope.29:24–27, 2006.
- Chudler, E.H. Inside Your Brain, New York: Chelsea House Publishers, 2007, pp. 128.
- Chudler, E.H. and Lu, Y., Behavioral responses to chemical, thermal and mechanical stimulation after unilateral, intrastriatal administration of 6-hydroxydopamine, Brain Research, 1213:41–47, 2008.