Our goal is to understand the neural mechanisms underlying perception, cognition, and action. In particular, we study how these brain functions are distributed across diverse neural circuits, and how these distributed populations of neurons coordinate their dynamics to generate useful behaviors.
Our approach is to employ state-of-the-art methods for measuring and manipulating neural activity at large scale and high resolution, combined with sophisticated, quantifiable behavioral tasks and mechanistic modeling.
Our work specifically involves studying visually-guided behaviors in mice, using techniques such as next-generation Neuropixels electrophysiology, large-scale calcium imaging, systematic optogenetic manipulations, and advanced data analysis and modeling.
Publications [from PubMed]
- Steinmetz NA, Koch C, Harris KD, Carandini MCurrent opinion in neurobiology. 2018 Jun; 50 : 92-100
- Jun JJ, Steinmetz NA, Siegle JH, Denman DJ, Bauza M, Barbarits B, Lee AK, Anastassiou CA, Andrei A, Aydın Ç, Barbic M, Blanche TJ, Bonin V, Couto J, Dutta B, Gratiy SL, Gutnisky DA, Häusser M, Karsh B, Ledochowitsch P, Lopez CM, Mitelut C, Musa S, Okun M, Pachitariu M, Putzeys J, Rich PD, Rossant C, Sun WL, Svoboda K, Carandini M, Harris KD, Koch C, O'Keefe J, Harris TDNature. 2017 11; 551 7679: 232-236
- Burgess CP, Lak A, Steinmetz NA, Zatka-Haas P, Bai Reddy C, Jacobs EAK, Linden JF, Paton JJ, Ranson A, Schröder S, Soares S, Wells MJ, Wool LE, Harris KD, Carandini MCell reports. 2017 Sep; 20 10: 2513-2524
- Engel TA, Steinmetz NA, Gieselmann MA, Thiele A, Moore T, Boahen KScience (New York, N.Y.). 2016 12; 354 6316: 1140-1144
- Okun M, Steinmetz N, Cossell L, Iacaruso MF, Ko H, Barthó P, Moore T, Hofer SB, Mrsic-Flogel TD, Carandini M, Harris KDNature. 2015 May; 521 7553: 511-515
- Eye movement preparation modulates neuronal responses in area V4 when dissociated from attentional demands.Steinmetz NA, Moore TNeuron. 2014 Jul; 83 2: 496-506
Starting January 2019:
I-534C, UW Medical Center