About the course:
Do you worry that your child is a picky eater? Or that your child is hungry all of the time? Do you have or work with a toddler who repeatedly refuses to eat certain foods? Does mealtime sometimes feel more like a battle than an enjoyable time of the day??? We invite you to join this workshop if you answered “yes” to any of these questions. In this half-day event, Dr. Liu, a pediatrician with expertise in childhood obesity, will share her experience and guide experiential practices that promote healthy relationships with food. This workshop is designed for caregivers – parents, family members, childcare providers, and educators.
During this workshop, participants will:
- Explore the interconnection of comfort, security, and eating
- Understand children’s natural growth patterns and how it impacts eating
- Explore the relationship of emotions to food and eating
- Reflect on their current and past relationships with food
- Discuss strategies to change their and their children’s experiences during mealtime
- Draw upon mindfulness-based practices to shift their experience with eating
Participants will leave with a more holistic and expanded view of food and eating, as well as strategies to ride the waves in children’s changing eating behaviors. Join Dr. Liu for a workshop that will help you begin to reclaim mealtime as a nourishing, enjoyable time of the day.
Please Note: While there will be room for discussion on topics such as body image, self-esteem and over-eating during the workshop, please note that Dr. Liu cannot provide medical advice regarding individual conditions.
Workshop fee: $50.00, which includes a Certificate of Completion for 3 hours for CEUs for licensed psychologists, marriage and family therapists, mental health counselors, and social workers in Washington State.
- A limited number of scholarships are available per course. To apply for a scholarship, please review criteria and complete the application form at: https://catalyst.uw.edu/webq/survey/mindful/237140 Note: Scholarship applicants will be notified no later than 3 weeks prior to the workshop. Applicants must wait to register for the course until a decision has been made in order to qualify.
About the instructor:
Lenna L. Liu, MD, MPH is a Professor of Pediatrics at the University of Washington School of Medicine and Seattle Children’s Hospital. She practices general pediatrics at Odessa Brown Children’s Clinic. Dr. Liu is active locally and nationally on childhood obesity prevention and management efforts, particularly with an emphasis on health disparities and low-income populations. She is the physician lead for the Seattle Children’s Obesity Program which includes clinical services, education, research and advocacy. She is also trained in yoga, meditation, and mindfulness and working to bring mindfulness and mindful eating to pediatrics and obesity prevention.