Dr. Liliana Lengua, Child Psychologist, Psychology Professor and Director of the Center for Child and Family Well-Being will lead this 1-day training on evidence-based mindful parenting, including tools for bringing mindfulness into your everyday interactions with your child.
As parents, we strive to draw upon the most effective parenting strategies for our children. Even when we know the best practices, it can be challenging to use them consistently – particularly if there are economic or work challenges, family conflict, mental health issues, divorce, death, or other stressful life circumstances.
Incorporating mindfulness practices into parenting strategies can help parents have more positive interactions with their children. In this workshop, Dr. Lengua will interweave mindfulness with best parenting practices that can be used in every-day interactions between parents and children to enhance parents’ effectiveness and relationships with their children.
This workshop will provide you with tools and inspiration to make your parenting even more effective by tailoring your approach to your child’s personality. Additional learning objectives include:
- Learn best parenting practices of warmth, consistency, and scaffolding
- Use mindfulness practices to increase use of best parenting practices
- Use mindfulness practices to be present, calm and wise-minded
- Combine specific parenting and mindfulness practices when interacting with children.
Course Fee: $100.00
If you are interested in financial assistiance, CCFW offers two options
- Income based-reduced fee of just $70.00, available to individuals with an annual household income from all sources of $60,000 or less. For more details please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- A limited number of scholarship are available per course. To apply for a scholarship, please review the criteria and complete the application here: https://catalyst.uw.edu/webq/survey/mindful/337140 Note: Scholarship applications will be notified no later than 3 weeks prior to the workshop. Applicants must wait to register for the course until a decision is made in order to qualify.
**NEW** UW Affiliate Discounts
- 20% for UW Faculty & Employees. Use your UW email address to register, include department name, office, and position.
- 25% if paying with a UW budget number. UW Budget number is required at registration.
About the Presenter
Liliana Lengua, Ph.D., UW Professor of Psychology and Director of the Center for Child and Family Well-being, is a child clinical psychologist and a mother of 3 children. She is an internationally recognized expert on children’s vulnerable and resilient responses to stress, demonstrating how parenting and children’s temperament contributes to children’s unique responses to stress. She is also recognized for her research on the effects of stress and adversity on parenting and children’s social-emotional development, and has developed an evidence-based parenting program infused with mindfulness practices to enhance parenting effectiveness. She has been the principal investigator of several federally funded research projects and is the author of over 90 published papers.