Research to Real World, November 1, 2013
The federal government and some states, including Washington, are moving toward greater integration of SEL into educational and service systems. There is a need for practitioners, administrators, and policy makers to have a state-of-the-art understanding of Social Emotional Learning skills that can be translated into practice and policy across a variety of settings spanning early childhood through adolescence.
Dr. Schonert Reichl's Presentation and Resources:
1. Story of Darren from: Gordon, M. (2009). The Roots of Empathy: Changing the world child by child. Toronto, Ontario: Thomas Allen Publishers.
3. Durlak, J. A., Weissberg, R. P., Dymnicki, A. B., Taylor, R. D., & Schellinger, K. B. (2011). Enhancing students’ social and emotional development promotes success in school: Results of a meta-analysis. Child Development, 82, 474–501.
4. Roeser, R., Schonert-Reichl, K. A., Jha, A., Wilensky, R., Oberle, E., Thomson, K., Taylor, C., & Harrison, J. (2013). Mindfulness training and reductions in teacher stress and burnout: Results from two randomized, waitlist-control field trials. Journal of Educational Psychology. doi: 10.1037/a0032093
5. Hawkins, J. D., Kosterman, R., Catalano, R. F., Hill, K. G., & Abbott, R. D. (2008). Effects of a social development intervention in childhood 15 years later. Archives of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine, 162, 1133–1141.
6. Moffitt, T. E., Arseneault, L., Belsky, D., Dickson, N., Hancox, R. J., Harrington, H., et al. (2011). A gradient of childhood self-control predicts health, wealth, and public safety. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 108, 2693–2698.
7. Olsson, C. A., McGee, R., Shyamala, N. R., Williams, S. M. (2013). A 32-year longitudinal study of child and adolescent pathways to well-being in adulthood. Journal of Happiness Studies, 14, 1069-1083.
8. Schreier, H., Schonert-Reichl, K. A., & Chen, E. (2013). Effect of volunteering on risk factors for cardiovascular disease in adolescents: A Randomized Controlled Trial. JAMA-Pediatrics. doi:10.1001/jamapediatrics.2013.1100
9. Warneken, F., & Tomasello, M. (2006). Altruistic helping in human infants and young chimpanzees. Science, 311, 1301–1303.
12. Layous, K., Nelson, S. K., Oberle, E., Schonert-Reichl, K. A., & Lyubomirsky, S. (2013). Kindness counts: Prompting prosocial behavior in preadolescents boosts peer acceptance and well-being. PLOS ONE, 7.