The Doctoral Program is introduced at the School of Business Administration, first issuing Doctor of Commercial Science degrees, then shifting to the Doctor of Business Administration before adopting the modern Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in 1972.
The business school admits its first three doctoral students. The first two, Dr. William W. Tsai and Dr. Richard R. Still, who becomes a well-published and highly regarded faculty member in marketing first in Florida and later in California, graduate in 1953. One year later, the third student, Endel-Jakob Kolde, an immigrant from Estonia, graduates with both a master’s degree and a doctorate. Kolde joins the UW business school faculty and serves in several critical positions until he retires in 1984. In 1988, he is awarded the John F. Mee Distinguished Professorship Rank by the American Assembly of Collegiate Schools of Business.