Collaborative Research Area on Epilepsy
Coordinator: Nicholas Poolos, M.D., Ph.D.
Members of this CRA are engaged in a wide variety of projects aimed at decreasing the morbidity and mortality of epilepsy including its potential contribution to the development of IDD. Goals of this CRA include: (1) developing new knowledge of the physiological properties of neural cells involved in the initiation of seizures along with identifying the molecular and cellular changes associated with the risk of acquiring epilepsy following traumatic brain injury or an episode of status epilepticus, (2) increasing our understanding of the genetic contributions to epilepsy, and (3) developing evidenced based approaches to the treatment of epilepsy, especially within the population with co-morbid IDD.
Key Faculty Investigators
- Nicholas Poolos, M.D., Ph.D., Associate Professor, Neurology, Coordinator
- William Catterall, Ph.D., Professor and Chair, Pharmacology
- Raimondo D'Ambrosio, Ph.D., Associate Professor, Neurological Surgery
- William Dobyns, M.D., Professor, Pediatrics
- Evan Eichler, Ph.D., Professor, Genome Sciences
- Heather Mefford, M.D., Ph.D., Associate Professor, Pediatrics
- Kathleen Millen, Ph.D., Associate Professor, Pediatrics
- Edward Novotny, M.D., Professor, Neurology, Pediatrics
- Jeff Ojemann, M.D., Associate Professor, Neurological Surgery
- Jeff Tsai, M.D., Ph.D., Assistant Professor, Neurology
- John Welsh, Ph.D., Professor, Pediatrics