Chemistry Logo
Add / Drop Course

Student Registration

Answers to the most common course registration questions are provided below; if you do not find the answer you need, contact Chemistry Undergraduate Services in Bagley Hall 303, or at (206) 543-4658.


  1. Adding a course: Add codes are available in person from Undergraduate Services in 303 Bagley Hall (Monday-Friday, 8:00a.m. - Noon & 1:00-4:00p.m.). For most laboratory courses add codes are required during the second full week of the quarter. For 200-, 300-, and 400-level courses and honors course series, add codes are required for the first week of the quarter. Any courses not requiring an add code can be added the online by the student. Non-matriculated students seeking to enroll in a Chemistry course can obtain necessary signatures from the Undergraduate Services Office (BAG 303). Non-matriculated student registration for Chemistry courses is allowed beginning on the first day of the quarter.
  2. Dropping a course: Drop codes are available in person from Undergraduate Services in 303 Bagley Hall (Monday-Friday, 8:00am-Noon & 1:00-4:00pm). For CHEM 120, 142, 152, and 162, students will need a drop code beginning in the second week of the quarter. For all other laboratory classes, drop codes are needed starting in the first week of the quarter. Students dropping courses after the second week of the quarter will not have their lab fees refunded. Lecture courses can be dropped online until the end of the seventh week of the quarter (using your annual withdrawal), at which point students must petition to drop a course or file for hardship withdrawal from the course through the registrar.
  3. Overloading: Courses with a laboratory may never be overloaded past the enrollment limit, due to safety concerns. Lecture courses can be overloaded depending on the classroom size and the willingness of the instructor. The Department suggests avoiding overloading courses unless the course is only offered once per year or the student needs the course to graduate. Students seeking to overload a course should see one of the Chemistry Undergraduate Advisors (303 Bagley Hall).
  4. Switching sections. To switch to a different course section (e.g., from CHEM 142BC to CHEM 142BA or CHEM 142AD), you must go through the course drop and add processes described above.
  5. Audits: Audits are not allowed for the laboratory part of a course. It is left to the instructor to allow for auditing; however, the availability of classroom space should be considered when making this decision.
  6. Time Conflicts: Time conflicts occur when a student wants to take two courses with overlapping meeting times. When this occurs, the student must add the second course in person at the Office of the Registrar (225 Schmitz Hall). Students must obtain approval from the instructors of both courses to add courses that conflict one (1) hour a week or less. Instructor signatures on a Registration Transaction form are required for courses that conflict more than one (1) hour per week. Department policies regarding time conflicts are as follows: lab section time conflicts are not allowed; tutorial section time conflicts are allowed, as the tutorials are optional; and lecture or quiz section time conflicts are allowed but not encouraged. Students must get instructor permission.
  7. Cancelled Registration: The UW registration system automatically checks prerequisites when a student enrolls in a course. If a student does not meet the course prerequisites they will be dropped from the course (e.g., if a student earned less than a 1.7 in CHEM 142 and is registered for CHEM 152 in the upcoming quarter, they will be dropped from CHEM 152 within a few days after grades are submitted. Students may also be dropped from a course due to academic performance (repeated quarters on academic probation). In these cases you will need to see one of our undergraduate advisers in 303 Bagley Hall.

Site Map | Contact Us