Separation of Polar and Non Polar Substances
Hexane is very flammable
Potassium permanganate and sodium dichromate are strong oxidizers
Iodine causes burns.
Chemicals and Solutions:
Sodium dichromate crystals
2-1L separatory funnels
2 Ringstands, 2 rings, and 2 clamps
2 Pennyhead stoppers
- Put ~300 mL water into each sep. funnel.
- Add ~200 mL n-hexane to each sep. funnel.
- Add a few KMnO4 crystals to one sep. funnel and shake.
(KMnO4 will dissolve in the aq. layer).
- Add a few I2 crystals to the other sep. funnel and shake.
(I2 will dissolve in the organic layer).
- As an extra bonus, a few crystals of sodium dichromate can be added to the sep. funnel already containing iodine so that Husky colors are made.
To schedule a demonstration, please send an e-mail to the demonstration lab.
Lecture Demonstration Technician
Bagley Hall 171