Chemistry Purchasing and Accounting Office - Travel


All research associates (post-docs), graduate students and staff must obtain approval prior to incurring any UW-covered travel expense. Prior approval is not required for faculty as this has been delegated to them by the Chair. The complete Department travel policy is available on the link below:

Department Travel Policy

Prior Approval

To obtain prior approval, post-docs, graduate students and staff must complete the Travel Request form at the link below:

Travel Request Form (UW NetID Login)

Please be sure the form is complete. Your cost estimate should include all expenses for the entire trip – transportation, lodging, per diem, and registration fees. The request will be routed electronically to Austin in the Chemistry Purchasing and Accounting Office, 7-1894. She will review the form, request additional information or clarification, then route the request to your supervisor for approval via PurchasePath.
When approval is secured, Austin will authorize charges to the Department Corporate Travel Account as needed. Upon return, Austin will work with travelers to prepare travel Expense Reports for reimbursements.

Faculty Travel

Prior approval is not required for faculty travel. Faculty should use the Faculty Travel Reimbursement Request at the link below to claim reimbursement.

Faculty Travel Reimbursement Request (fillable pdf)

The completed form, receipts and supporting documentation should be sent to Austin in the Chemistry Purchasing and Accounting office. She will process travel reimbursements.

Chemistry Corporate Travel Account

The Department has a corporate travel account (CTA) for airline, other transportation and specified lodging. If you wish the department to pay for any travel expense in advance of your trip with the CTA account please complete the form on the link below and sent it to Austin:

Request to Charge CTA Form (fillable pdf)

But, note the prior approval requirement above.

Foreign Travel

The UW Office of Global Travel facilitates safe and successful travel for UW faculty, staff and students.
All students are required to register travel itineraries with the Office of Global Affairs. Students are also required to obtain UW Student Abroad Insurance. This provides major medical insurance benefits while overseas and evacuation services for medical, security and natural evacuation service which is not provided by regular GAIP insurance. Additional information is available at the Office of Global Affairs.

Travel FAQs

Common questions and answers that may be helpful.

FAQ document (pdf)


UW Travel Cards

Faculty or staff who will take at least two business trips per year may want to consider obtaining a UW Travel Card. This is an individual liability card - that is the card holders are responsible for paying the expenses incurred. Generally, the travel card bill will not be due before UW reimbursement of the expenses. The UW Travel Card is not available to student employees. Complete information is available here: Travel Website


Travel Basics

Plan ahead. This insures the desired flight times, prices, and accommodations.
The State requires us to select travel options that are the most economical.
Business or first class travel is allowable only under very special circumstances and with prior approval by the Dean. Please contact Joan (, 5-2333) for more information.
Foreign travel supported by Federal funds requires the use of US airlines. Please contact Heidi (, 3-1698) or Joan if you have questions.
Upon returning, please submit your reimbursement requests to Austin as soon as possible.


Need More Information?

Contact Austin or Joan in the Chemistry Purchasing and Accounting Office.



Site Map | Contact Us