Traveling on University Business? Plan ahead and get approval.
All research associates (post-docs), graduate students, and staff must obtain approval prior to incurring any travel expense. Remember to include expenses for the entire trip in your request including transportation costs, lodging expenses, meals and conference registration cost.
UW Travel Cards
If you are a faculty or staff in “active” status and will take at least two business trips per year you may want to consider a UW Travel Card. This is an individual liability card – card holders are required to pay the entire balance. Sorry, the UW Travel card is not available to students.
Here is more information.
Travel FAQs - Continue on for some common questions and answers. (.pdf)
These are your responsibilities as a traveler.
- Be familiar and comply with State, University and department travel policies and procedures before embarking on travel.
- Obtain prior authorization when required.
- Select travel alternative that is allowable per the State, University and department travel policies and procedures.
- Select travel options that are most economical.
- Exercise same care in incurring expenses and accomplishing the purposes of the travel that a prudent person would exercise if traveling on personal business; excess costs, circuitous routes, delays, or luxury accommodations unnecessary or unjustified in the performance of official state business travel are not acceptable.
- Pay any excess costs and any additional expenses incurred for personal preference or convenience.
- Verify that all travel arrangements are confirmed prior to departure.
- Return as promptly as possible to either official station or residence when state business is complete.
- Ensure reimbursement is prepared and submitted with appropriate receipts in a timely manner.
- Ensure all travel reimbursement follow the IRS Accountable Plan.
- Report allpersonal time.
We are here to help!
Every trip is different and every traveler is different. Please contact the Purchasing and Accounting Office with any questions or concerns.