Traveling on University business? Plan ahead and get approval.
All research associates (postdocs), graduate students, and staff must obtain approval prior to incurring any UW-covered travel expense. Remember to include expenses for the entire trip in your request, including transportation, lodging expenses, meals, conference registration fees, etc.
UW Travel Cards
If you are a faculty or staff in “active” status and will take at least two business trips per year you may want to consider a UW Travel Card. This is an individual liability card – card holders are required to pay the entire balance. Unfortunately, the UW Travel card is not available to students. See the University website for more information.
Travel FAQs: Common questions and answers (pdf)
Your responsibilities as a traveler:
- Be familiar and comply with State, University, and department travel policies and procedures before embarking on travel.
- Obtain prior authorization as required.
- Select a travel alternative that is allowable per the State, University, and department travel policies and procedures.
- Select travel options that are most economical.
- Exercise the same care in incurring expenses and accomplishing the purposes of the travel that a prudent person would exercise if traveling on personal business; excess costs, circuitous routes, delays, or luxury accommodations unnecessary or unjustified in the performance of official state business travel are not acceptable.
- Pay any excess costs and any additional expenses incurred for personal preference or convenience.
- Verify that all travel arrangements are confirmed prior to departure.
- Return as promptly as possible to either official station or residence when state business is complete.
- Ensure reimbursement is prepared and submitted with appropriate receipts in a timely manner.
- Ensure all travel reimbursement follow the IRS Accountable Plan.
- Report all personal time, which must adhere to University policy.
We are here to help!
Every trip is different and every traveler is different. Please contact the Purchasing & Accounting Office with any questions or concerns.