Chemistry Logo
Parenting Accommodation Policy

Guiding Principles

The Department of Chemistry Parenting Accommodation Policy for Graduate Students is by no means designed to replace the communication and cooperation between student and adviser, and the good-faith efforts of both to accommodate the arrival of a new child in the home by birth, adoption, or foster placement, or the care of a child with a serious illness. It is the intention of this policy to reinforce the importance of that cooperation, and to provide support where needed to make that accommodation possible. The Department of Chemistry Parenting Accommodation Policy is governed by Article 16 of the UW/UAW Local 4121 contract regarding Leaves of Absence. Please see this link for more details.

Academic Accommodations

Leave of Absence (LOA) Policy

A graduate student may take a family LOA for up to one academic year (i.e.,12 months including the summer quarter) after the birth of a child or after adoption. Parenting leave extends time-to-degree standards up to one academic year at any stage of the student’s program. During this time, students may purchase the Graduate Appointee Health Insurance Plan (GAIP) assuming they were enrolled in GAIP in the quarter prior to their LOA. In some circumstances students may be eligible for up to 12 weeks of UW-paid GAIP coverage while on a LOA due to childbirth or adoption. Eligibility for self-pay or UW-paid GAIP coverage while on a LOA must be approved by the UW Benefits Office.

Link to UW Graduate On-Leave Status policy
Link to GAIP self-pay information

Expanded Academic Time-to-Degree Provisions for Extraordinary Parenting Demands

This policy is designed to assist graduate students who have extraordinary parenting responsibilities (see definition below) while maintaining continuing student status and facilitating a return to full participation in course work, and – where applicable – research and training.

A parent with extraordinary responsibilities, with primary responsibility for the child, may receive an extension of up to one extra year. A doctoral student seeking parental accommodation must have substantial or extraordinary parenting responsibilities.  These include childbirth, care of a newborn, newly adopted child or newly-placed foster child, the serious illness of a child, and other exceptional circumstances relating to a child.  The child may be the student’s child or that of a spouse or domestic partner.

Special Note to International Students
Withdrawals, leaves, and delayed progress toward completion of degree may have implications for the visa status of international students. International students are urged to consult with the Office of International Student Services (ISS) before modifying their degree progress.

International students are also encouraged to confirm eligibility for health insurance coverage if returning to their home country.

Site Map | Contact Us