From: Kelvin Sung
Sent: Friday, March 23, 2007 1:30 PM
To: Kelvin Sung; 'John Nordlinger'
Cc: 'Ivan Lumala'
Subject: Award Number: 15871 - March
2007 Progress Report (XNA Based Games-Themed Programming Assignments)
Re: Award Number: 15871: March
2007 Progress Report
(XNA Based Games-Themed
In March 2007, we accomplished the followings:
- For each assignment, we will include an “assignment
package” which would include:
- Assignment Specification: included in this
specification will be
number of lecture-hours before using this assignment
- Grading Rubric
- Pre/Post Tests
- FAQ for faculty/students: this would include
frequently asked questions and frequent mistakes
- XNA and regular C# implementations
- Step-by-step guide for faculty and student on the XNA
- Assessment form for external faculty evaluator
- We have identified two assignments and began developing
the materials required for the “assignment package”. At this point we
- First drafts of assignment specifications and grading
- A first draft of XNA graphics library that is targeted
for non-graphics, non-games faculty.
- XNA implementation of one of the assignments
- We hope to complete the first draft of assignment
package by the end of April, refine the package in May, and send the
assignment package to external faculty for first round of evaluation.
- The strategy is to iron out the “assignment package”
template before June such that we can spend the summer concentrating on
developing the actual materials for the assignments.
- At SIGCSE 2007: I presented a paper on combining
gaming with computer graphics and was invited to participate in the NSF
CCLI showcase on the exhibition floor. In both cases, I was able to
relate my on-going CCLI project to this Microsoft funded gaming project.
Many faculty members were intrigued by our work and are keenly interested
in our results.
- We have proposed two workshops at the CCSC-NW 2007
conference: one on developing GUI applications and one on developing XBOX
360 applications with XNA. We will know the status of these proposals.