From:                                                       Kelvin Sung

Posted At:                                               Wednesday, January 28, 2009 12:08 PM

Conversation:                                        2009.1.27.Meeting

Posted To:                                              2.MeetingMinutes

 

Subject:                                                   2009.1.27.Meeting

 

On January 27th, Mike, Cinnamon, and Kelvin met at UW1-361, and this is what we discussed:

 

1.       Update: Cinnamon is brought up-to-date on the XGA and XGC1 project.

 

2.       Survey Forms:

a.       Cinnamon will work on the survey, making sure the survey forms are properly supported by existing scholarship.

b.      Kelvin explained that most (if not all) of the publications in SIGCSE, ItiCSE, ICER conferences do not have proper support for the survey forms used. We need  to look somewhere else for references on what are good surveys.

 

3.       Schedule for recording: In spring 09, Mike’s classes are Wednesday 5:45pm – 7:50pm and Robin does not have classes during this time. So, we are good.

 

4.       Control class: We discussed sample size, “control class”. We will carry out the study in Spring with the plan to continue to studying in Fall. One idea is to use the Fall class as the “control”.

 

5.       Next meeting: We will meet again soon to address the following:

 

Agenda:

1.       Status on IRB: reports from Kelvin (UW) and Mike (CCC)

 

2.       Review of Survey forms: Cinnamon will bring us up-to-date with the new survey forms.

 

3.       Review of In classroom exercises: Kelvin will print and bring the exercises to the meeting, we need to get feedback from assessment experts (Robin, Cinnamon, and David).

 

4.       Equipment: Robin: what we have and what must be purchased?

 

5.       Dates and Protocol/Procedures:

a.       Identify potential survey/interview dates:

                                                                           i.      Pre/Post course survey: David must be present.

                                                                         ii.      Recordings: Robin must be present, we need to figure what/how to set things up and if CCC has any restrictions on what we need to do (equipment setup, etc.).

b.      Iron out protocols, who will do what when (e.g., equipment purchase, setup)