This course will focus on critical thinking, college-level reading and learning in higher education, and will research affective behavior, learning styles, leadership, and self-directed/disciplined/monitored/corrective learning.
Your credit and grade will be based upon an eportfolio containing a photoessay, response papers/journals to readings and discussions, notes, and a final reflective paper. You will also be required to participate during classtime discussions, during online activities, and in WebQ surveys during the quarter.
This course and your final eportfolio is designed to:
- improve the understanding of the college student's responsiblity in the teaching/learning process.
- increase student's college-level critical thinking, reading, and writing skills.
- promote a positive adjustment into the university environment.
- help students develop a set of adaptive study, coping, and survival skills while attending the university.
- increase awareness of personal learning styles and how to work with other types of learning styles.
- begin a strong academic resume.
- develop student leaders in academics, as well as on campus and within the community.
To receive CR for this course you must maintain an 80% average on all assignments and activities. Below is an example of how your work will be awarded points and evaluated:
Photo Essay 50
Research Paper 100
TOTAL 450 possible points
90% of TOTAL = 405 points
80% of TOTAL = 360 points
NOTE: According to the example points above, you must not drop below 360 points in order to receive CR for GST 101.
Newspapers (online): New York Times, Seattle Times or Seattle PI, The Washington Post, The Guardian (London), The Times (London)
During discussion and reflection journals, students will compare and contrast information within:
headlines and stories,
Opinion/Editorials sections, and
Education headlines and stories
Exerpts from various books and articles:
Soon to be listed
LASSI - Learning and Study Skills Inventory
MBTI - Myers Briggs Type Indicator
Learning Style Preferences
Life's Balance Wheel