The Financial Data Analytics certificate offered provides data science tools along with related financial applications. Learn to apply statistical techniques for analyzing financial data, and develop skills in leveraging the powerful financial data modeling and analysis capabilities of popular programming languages. Learn the analytical tools and numerical schemes in machine learning to perform statistical analysis on financial data.
All applicants must show competency in the following content areas, either by previously completed academic or professional preparation:
- Advanced calculus
- Probability and statistics
- A programming language such as Java or C++, or in a math or a statistical programming language such as Matlab, R/S-PLUS
Alternatively, coursework in the Quantitative Fundamentals certificate satisfy prerequisites:
- CFRM 405: Mathematical Methods for Quantitative Finance
- CFRM 410: Probability & Statistics for Computational Finance
- CFRM 415: Introduction to Financial Markets
- CFRM 420: Introduction to Computational Finance and Financial Econometrics
- CFRM 425: R Programming for Quantitative Finance
- Financial Data Analytics certificate courses make extensive use of the R language, which is not taught to students in the coursework. Experience with another modern language will be accepted, provided the student is willing to learn R independently.
The FDA certificate courses are regular graduate courses from the MS curriculum and are academically rigorous. In addition to subject matter proficiency requirements, all applicants are expected to hold a bachelor’s degree.
A Financial Data Analytics certificate will be awarded to individuals who successfully complete the following three online courses from graduate-level CFRM curriculum for a total of 12 credits:
- Autumn: CFRM 506, Financial Data Analytics & Analysis with SQL, VBA, & Excel (4 credits)
- Winter: CFRM 502, Financial Data Science (4 credits)
- Spring: CFRM 521, Machine Learning for Finance (4 credits)
We strongly recommend that all Financial Data Analytics certificate students take CFRM 425: R Programming for Quantitative Finance unless they have extensive experience with R.
Coursework in the Financial Data Analytics certificate is a subset of the MS curriculum, and all 12 credits are optionally transferable into the degree program for students who are later admitted to the MS if students elect that option at the time of initial certificate enrollment. For 2019-2020, FDA certificate courses for online, non-degree students cost $1,020 per credit.
The complete Financial Data Analytics certificate is priced at $12,240. Course tuition does not include UW mandatory fees assessed on a quarterly basis, such as registration and student technology fees. Course tuition also excludes textbooks. The all-inclusive price is approximately $12,800.
Financial aid is not available through CFRM or UW for non-degree programs, except for MS students required to take courses on a preparatory basis, who may be eligible for federal student aid. Outside scholarships, employer reimbursement, or private student loans may be used to cover expenses.
Certificate students are not required to attend the live online lectures; recordings will be posted on the course website to review on demand. Courses often have assignments, and midterm and final exams.
|CFRM 506||Autumn 2019||Sep - Dec, 2019|
|CFRM 502||Winter 2020||Jan - Mar, 2020|
|CFRM 521||Spring 2020||Mar - Jun, 2020|
Applying to the FDA Certificate
Begin the application today!