| | |
Charles Frevert, D.V.M, Sc.D.
Department of Comparative Medicine
Comparative Pathology Program/Histology Imaging Core
UW Medicine at South Lake Union
Office Room 315N, Box 358052
815 Mercer St
Veterinary Training: Iowa State University School of Veterinary Medicine
Residency: Tufts University School of Veterinary Medicine, Large Animal Internal Medicine Residency
Graduate School: Harvard School of Public Health, Doctor of Science Degree (Sc.D.) in Physiology and Cell Biology
1997 - Research Assistant Professor of Medicine, Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine/Department of Medicine
2002 - Associate Professor of Medicine, Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine/Department of Medicine
2008 - Associate Professor Department of Comparative Medicine
Research Interests: Lung infections are a major burden to public health worldwide and the leading cause of death from infection in the United States. Research in my laboratory focuses on the early response of the immune system to gram-negative lung infections. The goal is to better understand the cellular and molecular mechanisms that regulate the innate immune system and the mechanisms that are responsible for the successful clearance of bacteria and viruses from the lungs. This has included work on CD14/Toll-like receptor signaling pathways with a focus on activation of TLR4 by LPS. An important and recent focus of my laboratory is to determine the role that proteoglycans and their associated glycosaminoglycans play in the innate immune response to lung infection. Our published work and preliminary data using mouse models and in vitro cell cultures show that syndecan-4, a cell surface heparan sulfate proteoglycan, and versican, a principal extracellular matrix (ECM) component, play a critical role in the innate immune response to lung infection.
Selected Publications (Out of 74)
- Frevert CW, Warner AE, Kobzik L. Defective pulmonary recruitment of neutrophils in rat model of endotoxemia. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 1994;11(6):716-723.
- Frevert CW, Matute-Bello G, Skerrett SJ, Goodman RB, Kajikawa O, Sittipunt T, Martin TR. Effect of CD14 Blockade in rabbits with Escherichia coli pneumonia and sepsis. J of Immunol 2000;164:5439-5445.
- Frevert CW, Goodman RB, Kinsella MG, Kajikawa O, Ballman K, Clark-Lewis I, Proudfoot AEI, Wells TNC, Martin TR. Tissue-specific mechanisms control the retention of interleukin-8 in lungs and skin. J Immunol 2002; 168: 3550-3556.
- Smith LS, Kajikawa O, Elson G, Wick M, Mongovin S, Kosco-Vilbois M, Martin TR, Frevert CW. Effect of TLR4 Blockade on Pulmonary Inflammation Caused by Mechanical Ventilation and Bacterial Endotoxin, Exp Lung Res, 2008; 34(5): 225-43.
- Webb-Robertson BM, Mccue LA, Beagly N, Mcdermott JE, Wunschel DS, Varnum S, Hu JZ, Isern NG, Buchko GW, Mcateer K, Skerrett SJ, Liggitt D, Pounds JG, Frevert, CW. A Bayesian Integration Model of High-Throughput Proteomics and Metabolomics Data for Improved Early Detection of Microbial Infections. Pac Symp Biocomput. 2009:451-63. PMID: 19209722, PMCID: PMC4137860
- Hukkanen, R.R., H. Denny Liggitt H.D, Murnane R.D., Frevert C.W. Systemic Inflammatory Response Syndrome in Non-human Primates Culminating in Multiple Organ Failure, Acute Lung Injury, and Disseminated Intravascular Coagulation, Toxicol. Pathol. 2009: 37:799-804, PMID:20503391, PMCID: PMC4113424.
- Gill, S., Wight, T.N., and Frevert CW, Proteoglycans: Key Regulators of Pulmonary Inflammation and the Innate Immune Response to Lung Infection. Anat. Rec. 2010;293:968-81. PMID20503391, PMCID: PMC4121077
- Tanino Y, DR Coombe, SE Gill, WC Kett, O Kajikawa, AE Proudfoot, TN Wells, WC Parks, TN Wight, TR Martin, CW Frevert. Kinetics of chemokine-glycosaminoglycan interactions control neutrophil migration into the airspaces of the lungs. J Immunol. 2010: 184(5): 2677-85. PMID20124102, PMCID: PMC4113427
- Tanino Y, Wang X, Chang M, Gill S, Skerrett S, Inokoshi Y, Nikaido T, Kojima T, Munakata M, Mongovin S, Wight TN, Martin TR, Frevert CW. Syndecan-4 Moderates the Pulmonary Inflammatory Response in a Mouse Model of Gram-Negative Pneumonia. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol, 2012: 47(2):196-202. PMCID: PMC: PMC3423465
- Chang MY, Tanino Y, Vidova V, Kinsella MG, Chan CK, Johnson PY, Wight TN, and Frevert CW. A Rapid Increase in Macrophage-Derived Versican and Hyaluronan in Infectious Lung Disease. Matrix Biology, 2014; 34:1-12, PMCID: PMC4019684.
- Nikaido, T, Tanino, Y, Wang, X, Sato, S, Misa, K, Fukuhara, N, Sato, Y, Fukuhara, A, Uematsu, M, Suzuki, Y, Kojima, T, Tanino, M, Endo, Y, Tsuchiya, K, Kawamura, I, Frevert, C, Munakata, M. Serum syndecan-4 as a possible biomarker in patients with acute pneumonia. J Infect Dis. 2015; In Press, PMID: 25895983
- Snyder, JM, Washington, IM, Birkland, T, Chang, MY, Frevert, CW. Correlation of Versican Expression, Accumulation, and Degradation During Embryonic Development by Quantitative Immunohistochemistry. J Histochem Cytochem. 2015. 63(12):952-67. PubMed PMID: 26385570.