Mouse sperm can be stored in liquid nitrogen (-196°C) for a conceivably infinite period of time and then used to regenerate a colony of live animals. There are several advantages to banking sperm in LN2:
- Provides “insurance” in case of animal loss due to breeding failure, pathogens, or natural disasters
- Reduce cage costs when mice are no longer needed for experimental purposes
- Reduce demand for limited animal housing space
- Simplifies shipment of animals and avoids importation quarantines
- We will harvest sperm from a single male
- Sperm/cryoprotectant suspension will be loaded into 21 straws
- Twenty straws will be split between two separate LN2 tanks for long-term storage
- The last straw will be thawed to assess survivability and motility of sperm
- Our sperm cryopreservation protocol is based on Ostermeier et al, 2008
What You Need To Do
- Contact the TRP to schedule a cryo session
- Provide the TRP with a single healthy transgenic male
- Ideally, the male should be a proven breeder between the ages of 8-16 weeks.
Some Things To Consider
- The cost of sperm cryo is cheaper than embryo cryo, but the cost to rederive mice using frozen sperm (IVF) is more expensive than embryo implantation.
- Cryopreserving haploid sperm may require more breeding of rederived mice compared to freezing diploid embryos.
- Sperm cryo may not be suitable for some inbred strains or strains with multiple mutations.
Prices and Guarantees
- Cryopreservations are charged on a per session basis. We will harvest and freeze sperm from 1 transgenic male per session.
- A test straw will be thawed immediately after freezing in order to provide information on the survival and developmental potential of your stored samples. If we experience a failure as determined by an unusually low survival and/or motility, we will repeat the service at no additional charge.
- Successful cryopreservation of sperm depends greatly upon the strain, transgenic mutations, age, breeding history, and health of the donor male.
- Click here for current rates.
Reserve A Cryopreservation Session
To order a sperm cryopreservation session, go to our TRP Forms page. Fill out a “Request for Sperm Cryopreservation” form and e-mail it to Bob Hunter firstname.lastname@example.org