Apply to Transition School/Early Entrance Program
Completed Transition School applications for the 2013-2014 academic year are due March 22, 2013. This application is for current middle schoolers or those who will be under the age of 15 by time of matriculation. For the UW Academy application for 10th graders, please scroll down.
Steps to Applying
2. Carefully read the Transition School Application Guide, which includes application instructions and important policies and procedures.
3. Register for the ACT:
National ACT: register online at www.actstudent.org. The Transition School code is 481174 and is entered in the HIGH SCHOOL CODE area. It will not fit in the college code area. Upcoming dates for the ACT are December 8 and February 9; both require registration 5 weeks before the test date. The Writing Test is not required for Transition School.
Institutional ACT: Contact the Office of Educational Assessment at 206-543-1171. Please identify yourself as a Transition School applicant when you register.
PLEASE NOTE: The I-ACT can only be used for application to the Transition School/University of Washington. It is not valid for other schools and colleges. It is to be considered only if you are unable to register for and take the national ACT in a timely manner. A fee of $60 must be paid on the date of the test. The I-ACT is being offered by the Office of Educational Assessment to Transition School applicants in special group appointments on the following dates:
- February 7, 2013
- March 12, 2013
- March 21, 2013
- April 18, 2013 (note that this last date is after our application deadline and so applicants taking the test on that date will be automatically wait-listed in the Transition School admissions process).
4. Plan to attend the Transition School Information Session on January 10, 2013 at 6:30 pm in Foege Hall Room 060 on the UW Seattle campus.
- January 10, 2013 – TS Information Session at 6:30 pm, Room 060 in Foege Hall on the UW Seattle campus. Parents, students, and teachers are invited to attend. Please RSVP.
- February 20, 2013 – Early Decision application due. By this date we must have an online application, non-refundable application fee, I-ACT or ACT test scores, grades from the last two years, and two completed teacher recommendation surveys.
- March 22, 2013 – Early Decisions mailed.
- March 22, 2013 – TS Application deadline. By this date we must have an online application, non-refundable application fee, I-ACT or ACT test scores, grades from the last two years, and two completed teacher recommendation surveys.
- May 30, 2013- Last day for TS interviews.
- June 14, 2013 – TS Acceptance decisions completed and mailed.
Apply to UW Academy for Young Scholars
The 2014 Application is not yet available. Please check back in November 2013.
Are you curious about the UW Academy?
Applicants and their parents are also invited to join us for a Visit Day. Visit Days begin at 9:30 AM in the Honors Program Suite (Mary Gates Hall Room 211). Following a conversation and Q&A with Academy and Honors staff, visitors will tour the Honors Program, Robinson Center, and select parts of campus with a recently graduated Academy student. The day ends with visitors sitting in on a session of a UW lecture course. Visit Days conclude at 12:30 -1:30 PM, depending on the end time of the lecture. Space is limited, and priority is given to current grade 10 students. Visit Day programming assumes that students have attended an Academy Information Session. To sign up for an UW Academy visit day, please fill out a visit day request form.
Notes on scholarships & financial aid for Academy applicants:
- Applicants are automatically considered for merit-based scholarships offered by the UW Academy and the University Honors Program.
- To be considered for state and federal financial aid AND for need-based scholarships, including the Husky Promiseaward, applicants must submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Applicants should submit a FAFSA by the priority deadline (usually mid February) to be considered for the maximum amount of financial aid. Please note that this deadline is well before the Academy application deadline.
- Applicants are also encouraged to apply for local and national scholarships. Download a list of select scholarshipshere. Please note that the deadlines for many of these awards are in the early winter, well before the Academy application deadline. One scholarship to consider is the NASA Space Grant award.
- Students who plan to leave high school early to enroll in college full time may participate in the National Merit Scholarship Competition. Learn more.
Please visit the Saturday Program page for more information about applying.
Please visit the Summer Programs page for more information about applying for Summer Challenge or Summer Stretch.