baby with Swiss Chard
Nutrition for Children with Special Health Care Needs, Washington State
girl playing tea time
Nutrition Services
Nutrition Network
Feeding Teams
About Us




Insurance and Reimbursement

Families will need to check their health insurance plan to determine the extent of coverage for nutrition services. The PCP may need to assist the family to request these services. For Medicaid clients under 21 years of age and with a referral from an Early Periodic Screening, Diagnosis and Treatment provider (EPSDT - often referred to as "Healthy Kids" in WA), the Health and Recovery Services Administration (HRSA) within the Washington State Department of Social and Health Services will reimburse Certified Dietitians for nutritional counseling services. See the HRSA web site at, click on "Provider Publications/Fee Schedules," then "Billing Instructions," then "Medical Nutrition Therapy."

Resource for Families in Managed Care

A useful resource for families navigating the managed care system and establishing a medical home for their child with special needs is: "Finding Your Way In Managed Care: A Guide for Washington Families of Children with Special Health Care Needs" by Leslie Carroll, Becky Adelmann and Gloria Krahn.



©2015 Nutrition for Children with Special Health Care Needs, Box 357920, Seattle, WA 98195 Disclaimer