This is an old revision of the document!
- Congratulations to Prof. Brent Lagesse, who just earned a $300,000 Secure and Tr... (2014/07/30 18:30)Congratulations to Prof. Brent Lagesse, who just earned a $300,000 Secure and Trustworthy Cyberspace grant from the National Science Foundation to support his cybersecurity research and student outreach! His project will develop a cybersecurity program designed to attract and educate Native students while also furthering the state of the art in cloud computing research. In order to increase attendance and retention, this proposed work will focus on established indicators shown to correlate to success in Native students in higher education. The University of Washington Bothell will design two courses to be taught at the Toppenish school district leveraging cloud computing capabilities to extend a high-power virtual lab to the school district. These courses will focus on scenarios devised in virtual environments to provide hands-on education of practical aspects of cybersecurity. The technical side of this project will establish a virtual lab that utilizes current hardware capabilities of the University of Washington Bothell and enhances them with novel research in cloud computing to automatically generate virtual networks and systems based on assignment goals. It is the goal of this project to provide a community-building and educational experience that will engage a diverse set of students and teachers in such a way as to enhance the opportunity for success for students while simultaneously enhancing the state of the art in cloud computing systems.
- http://www.facebook.com/uwbcss/posts/10152198119231956 (2014/07/30 17:31)
Our own spa experience right on campus! Our runnels were working at top speed yesterday after our welcome summer rain. Now where do we sign up for massage?
- UW Bothell ranked "best in state"; see the Seattle Times for the details. http:... (2014/07/28 21:04)UW Bothell ranked "best in state"; see the Seattle Times for the details.
More for your money: UW-Bothell ranked best in the state
A new national ranking of college quality scrambles the usual rating of Washington state’s colleges and universities, making the University of Washington-Bothell the top-rated school in the state. The ranking, by Money magazine, aims to tell students and parents which schools give the best value for…
- In case you were wondering what some computing internship gigs pay. http://www.... (2014/07/16 04:56)In case you were wondering what some computing internship gigs pay.
Summer interns at tech giants make more than U.S. median household income - GeekWire
A group of Microsoft summer interns in 2013. It's no secret that tech giants are offering up crazy perks and nice paychecks to attract young talent to thei
- The Everett Herald had a nice segment in an article yesterday about Kevin Call's... (2014/07/15 16:29)The Everett Herald had a nice segment in an article yesterday about Kevin Call's earning the 2014 UW President's Medal.
- Congratulations to Qi Zhang, one of our graduate students studying for an MS in... (2014/07/14 18:56)Congratulations to Qi Zhang, one of our graduate students studying for an MS in Computer Science & Software Engineering; she received a GHC Scholarship Grant to attend the 2014 Grace Hopper Celebration of Women in Computing!
- Congratulations to Prof. Min Chen, who received a $40,000 grant from Microsoft A... (2014/07/11 19:27)Congratulations to Prof. Min Chen, who received a $40,000 grant from Microsoft Azure Research Award. With this, she will actively use Azure to further her preliminary research in processing huge amounts of speech recordings and linguistics materials in endangered languages, and to build data mining models so the data are properly indexed (at low-level, mid-level, and/or semantic level) to support various research needs. This is an essential step toward her long-term goal, which is to enable a one-stop platform for endangered language documentation and analysis, where she can manage data, migrate existing linguistics tools, develop new linguistics applications, and conduct endangered language research.
- We all know that computing is a great career, full of creativity, autonomy, and... (2014/06/25 23:55)We all know that computing is a great career, full of creativity, autonomy, and the fun of making new things and changing the world (and the pay isn't bad, either). But how many children are turned away from these careers by the messages they hear while growing up?
Powerful Ad Shows What A Little Girl Hears When You Tell Her She's Pretty
A new Verizon commercial cites a sad statistic by the National Science Foundation: 66 percent of 4th grade girls say they like science and math, but only 18 percent of all college engineering majors are female. People have offered many potential e...