- Gao, S. & T.H. DeLuca. 2016. Influence of biochar on soil nutrient transformations, nutrient leaching, and crop yield. Advances in Plants & Agriculture Research 4(5): 00150.
- Cutler, N. A., M. Arróniz-Crespo, L.E. Street, D.L. Jones, D.L. Chaput, & T.H. DeLuca. 2016. Long-Term Recovery of Microbial Communities in the Boreal Bryosphere Following Fire Disturbance. Microbial Ecology, 1-16.
- Gao, S., K. Hoffman-Krull, A.L. Bidwell, & T.H. DeLuca. 2016. Locally produced wood biochar increases nutrient retention and availability in agricultural soils of the San Juan Islands, USA. Agriculture, Ecosystems & Environment 233: 43-54.
- Pingree M.R.A., E.E. DeLuca, D.T. Schwartz, and T.H. DeLuca. 2016. Adsorption capacity of wildfire-produced charcoal from Pacific Northwest forests. Geoderma, 283, 68-77.
- Doty, S.L., A.W. Sher, N.D. Fleck, M. Khorasani, R.E. Bumgarner, Z. Khan, A.W.K. Ko, S-H. Kim and T.H. DeLuca. 2016. Variable nitrogen fixation in wild Populus. PLoS One: In Press.
- Abbott, B.W. et al. (DeLuca 38th author). 2016. Biomass offsets little or none of permafrost carbon release from soils, streams, and wildfire: an expert assessment. Environmental Research Letters 11:034014
- DeLuca, T.H., H.C. Glanville, M. Harris, B.A. Emmett, M.R.A. Pingree, L. L. de Sosa, C. Morenà, D. L. Jones. 2015. A novel rhizosphere trait-based approach to evaluating soil phosphorus availability across complex landscapes. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 88:110-119.
- Östlund, L., G. Hörnberg, T.H. DeLuca, L. Liedgren, P. Wikström, O. Zackrisson, and T. Josefsson. 2015. Intensive land use in the Swedish mountains between AD 800 and 1200 led to deforestation and ecosystem transformation with long-lasting effects. Ambio 44:508–520.
- DeLuca, T.H., M.J. Gundale, M.D. MacKenzie, and D.L. Jones. 2015. Bio-char effects on soil nutrient transformation. Chapter 15. In: Lehmann, J. and Joseph, S. (eds), 2nd ed. Biochar for Environmental Management: Science and Technology. Earthscan Publications Ltd, London.
- Rousk, K., D.L. Jones, T.H. DeLuca. 2014 Moss-nitrogen input to boreal forest soils: tracking 15N in a field experiment. Soil Biology and Biochemistry: In Press.
- Lucchini P, Quilliam RS, DeLuca TH, Vamerali T, Jones DL. 2014. Does biochar application alter heavy metal dynamics in agricultural soil? Agriculture, Ecosystems & Environment 184:149-157.
- Lucchini, P., R.S. Quilliam, T.H. DeLuca, T. Vamerali, and D.L. Jones. 2014. Increased bioavailability of metals in two contrasting agricultural soils treated with waste wood-derived biochar and ash. Environmental Science and Pollution Research 21:3230-40.
- Rousk K., D.L. Jones, and T.H. DeLuca. 2014. Exposure to nitrogen does not eliminate N2 fixation in the feather moss Pleurozium schreberi (Brid.) Mitt. Plant and Soil 374:513-521.
- Rousk K., D.L. Jones and T.H. DeLuca. 2014. The resilience of nitrogen fixation in feather moss (Pleurozium schreberi)-cyanobacteria associations after a drying and rewetting cycle. Plant and Soil, 377:159-167.
- DeLuca, T.H. O. Zackrisson, I. Bergman, B. Díez, and B. Bergman. 2013. Diazotrophy in alluvial meadows of Subarctic river systems. PLoS One 8:e77342.
- DeLuca, T.H. O. Zackrisson, I. Bergman, and G. Hörnberg. 2013. Historical land use and resource depletion in spruce-Cladina forests of Northern Sweden. Anthropocene 1:14-22.
- Rout, M.E., T.H. Chrzanowski, T.K., Westlie, T.H. DeLuca, R.M. Callaway, W.E. Holben. 2013. Bacterial endophytes enhance competition by invasive plants. American Journal of Botany 100:1726-37.
- Rousk, K., D.L. Jones, T.H. DeLuca. 2013. Moss-cyanobacteria associations as biogenic sources of nitrogen in boreal forest ecosystems. Frontiers in Terrestrial Microbiology 4:150.
- Jones, D.L., P. Cross, P.J.A. Withers, T.H. DeLuca, D.A. Robinson, R.S. Quilliam, I.M. Harris, D.R. Chadwick and G. Edwards-Jones. 2013 Nutrient stripping: the global disparity between food security and soil nutrient stocks. Journal of Applied Ecology 50:851-862.
- DeLuca, T.H., S.A. Zewdie, O. Zackrisson, J. R. Healey, D.L. Jones. 2013. Bracken fern promotes an open nitrogen cycle in heathland soils. Plant and Soil 367:521-534.
- Rousk, K., D.L. Jones, O. Zackrisson, J. Rousk, and T.H. DeLuca. 2013. Feather moss nitrogen acquisition across natural fertility gradients in boreal forests. Soil Biology & Biochemistry 61:86-95
- Rousk, K., T.H. DeLuca, J. Rousk. 2013. The cyanobacterial role in the resistance of feather mosses to decomposition – toward a new hypothesis. PLoS One 8(4): e62058. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0062058
- Quilliam, R.S., T.H. DeLuca, D.L. Jones. 2013. Biochar application reduces nodulation but increases nitrogenase activity in clover. Plant and Soil 366:83-92.
- Quilliam, R.S. T.H. DeLuca, S. Rangecroft, B Emmett D.L. Jones. 2013. Is biochar a source or sink for polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon (PAH) compounds in agricultural soils? Global Change Biology-Bioenergy 5:96–103.
- Farell, M. P. Hill, J. Farrar, T.H. DeLuca, P. Roberts, K. Kieland, R. Dahlgren, D. Murphy, P. Hobbs, R. Bardgett, D.L. Jones. 2012. Oligopeptides represent a preferred source of organic N uptake: A global phenomenon?Ecosystems 16:133-145.
- Das Gupta, S. and T.H. DeLuca. 2012. Short-term changes in belowground C, N stocks in recently clear felled Sitka spruce plantations on podzolic soils of North Wales. Forest Ecology and Management 281:48-58.
- Ackermann, K., O. Zackrisson, J. Rousk, D.L. Jones, T.H. DeLuca. 2012. N2 fixation in feather mosses is a sensitive indicator of N deposition in boreal forests. Ecosystems 15:986-998.
- DeLuca, T.H. and C. Boisvenue. 2012. Boreal forest soil carbon: Distribution, function and modelling. Forestry85:161-184.
- Quilliam, R.S., K.A. Marsden, C.Gertler, J.Rousk, T.H. DeLuca, D.L. Jones. 2012. Nutrient dynamics, microbial growth and weed emergence in biochar amended soil are influenced by time since application and reapplication rate. Agriculture, Ecosystems, and Environment 158: 192-199.
- Leppi, J.C., T.H. DeLuca, S. Harrar, S.W. Running. 2012. August stream discharge trends exhibit impacts of climate change in the Central-Rocky Mountains of North America. Climatic Change 112:997-1014.
- Jones, D.L., J. Rousk, G. Edwards-Jones, T.H. DeLuca, and D.V. Murphy. 2012. Biochar-mediated changes in soil quality and plant growth in a three year field trial. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 45:113-124.
- Pingree, M. R., Homann, P. S., Morrissette, B., & Darbyshire, R. 2012. Long and short-term effects of fire on soil charcoal of a conifer forest in Southwest Oregon. Forests 3(2), 353-369.
- Makoto, K., M. Hirobe, T.H. DeLuca, S.V. Bryanin, V.F. Procopchuk, K. Takayoshi. 2011. Effects of fire-derived charcoal on soil properties and seedling regeneration in a recently burned Larix gmelinii/Pinus sylvestris forest. Journal of Soils and Sediments 11:1317-1322.
- DeLuca, T.H. and C.A. Zabinski. 2011. Prairie ecosystems and the carbon problem. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment 9:407–413.
- Jones, D.L., D.V. Murphy, M. Khalid, W. Ahmad, G. Edwards-Jones, and T.H. DeLuca. 2011. Short-term biochar-induced increase in soil respiration is both biotically and abiotically mediated. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 43:1723-1731.
- Keeling, E., A. Sala, and T.H. DeLuca. 2011. Lack of fire has limited physiological impact on old-growth ponderosa pine in dry montane forests of North Central Idaho. Ecological Applications 21:3227–3237.
- Hill, P., R. Quilliam, T.H. DeLuca, J. Farrar, M. Farrell, P. Roberts, K. Newsham, D. Hopkins, R. Bardgett and D.L. Jones. 2011. Acquisition and assimilation of nitrogen as peptide-bound and D-enantiomers of amino acids by wheat. PLOS-One 6, e19220
- Gundale, M.J., T.H. DeLuca, and A. Nordin. 2011. Bryophytes attenuate anthropogenic nitrogen inputs in boreal forests. Global Change Biology17:2743–2753.
- Yakimov, M.M., V. La Cono, F. Smedile, M. Ferrer, T.H. DeLuca, P.N. Golyshin, and L.Giuliano. 2011. Contribution of crenarchaeal autotrophic ammonia oxidizers to the dark primary production in Tyrrhenian Deep Waters (Central Mediterranean Sea). ISME Journal 5:945-961.
- DeLuca, T.H., G.H. Aplet, H. B. Wilmer, and J. Burchfield. 2010. The unknown trajectory of forest restoration: a call for ecosystem monitoring.Journal of Forestry 108:288-295.
- Naficy, C., A. Sala, E. G. Keeling, J. Graham, T.H. DeLuca. 2010. Interactive effects of historical logging and fire exclusion on contemporary structure of ponderosa pine/Douglas-fir forests of the Northern Rockies. Ecological Applications 20:1851-1864.
- Ball, P.M., M.D. MacKenzie, T.H. DeLuca, and W.B. Holben. 2010. Wildfire and charcoal enhance AOB in forests of the Inland Northwest. Journal of Environmental Quality 39:1243-1253.
- Bisbing, S.M., P. Alaback and T.H.DeLuca. 2010. Carbon storage in old-growth and second growth fire-dependent western larch (Larix occidentalisNutt.) forests of the Inland Northwest, USA. Forest Ecology and Management 259:1041–1049.
- Burgoyne, T.A. and T.H. DeLuca. 2009. Non-symbiotic nitrogen fixation as influenced by forest restoration treatments in Western Montana. Forest Ecology and Management 258:1369-1375.
- DeLuca, T.H. and V. Archer. 2009. Forest soil quality standards should quantifiable. Journal of Soil and Water Conservation 64:118A-123A.
- Zackrisson, O., T.H. DeLuca, F. Gentili, A. Sellstedt, and A. Jäderlund. 2009. Nitrogen-fixation in boreal Hylocomium splendens communities.Oecologia 160:309-319.
- DeLuca, T.H., O. Zackrisson, M.J. Gundale, and M-C. Nilsson. 2008. Ecosystem feedbacks and nitrogen fixation in boreal forests. Science 320:1181.
- Gundale, M.J., S. Sutherland, and T.H. DeLuca. 2008. Fire, native species, and soil resource interactions regulate the spatio-temporal invasion pattern of Bromustectorum. Ecography 31:201-210.
- Nilsson, M-C., D.A. Wardle and T.H. DeLuca. 2008. Belowground and aboveground consequences of interactions involving live plant species mixtures and dead organic substrate mixtures. Oikos 117:439-449.
- DeLuca, T.H. and G.H. Aplet. 2008. Charcoal and carbon storage in forest soils of the Rocky Mountain West. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment 6:18-24.
- Walters, D.K. and T.H. DeLuca. 2007. Salt-lick induced soil disturbance in the Teton Wilderness, USA. Range Ecology and Management 60:675-679.
- Liedgren, L.G., I.M. Bergman, G. Hörnberg, O. Zackrisson, E. Hellberg, L. Östlund, T.H. DeLuca. 2007. Radiocarbon dating of prehistoric hearths in alpine northern Sweden: problems and possibilities. Journal of Archaeological Science 34:1276-1288
- DeLuca, T.H. and O. Zackrisson. 2007. Juniperus communis enhances soil fertility in arctic ecosystems. Plant and Soil 294:147-155.
- DeLuca, T.H., O. Zackrisson, F. Gentili, A. Sellstedt, M-C. Nilsson. 2007. Ecosystem controls on nitrogen fixation in boreal feather moss communities. Oecologia 152:121-130.
- Gundale, M.J. and T.H. DeLuca. 2007. Charcoal and litter extracts alter soil solution chemistry and growth of Koeleria macrantha in the ponderosa pine/Douglas-fir ecosystem. Biology and Fertility of Soils 43:303-311.
- Kurth, V.J. M.D. MacKenzie, and T.H. DeLuca. 2006. Estimating the charcoal content of mineral soils. Geoderma 137:135-139.
- Keeling, E.G., A. Sala, and T.H. DeLuca. 2006. Effects of fire exclusion on forest structure and composition in unlogged ponderosa pine/Douglas-fir forests. Forest Ecology and Management 237:418-428.
- DeLuca, T.H. and A. Sala. 2006. Frequent fire alters nitrogen transformations in ponderosa pine stands of the Inland Northwest. Ecology 87:2511-2522.
- MacKenzie, M.D. and T.H. DeLuca. 2006. Resin adsorption of carbon and nitrogen as influenced by season and time since fire. Soil Science Society America Journal 70:2122-2129.
- MacKenzie, M.D. and T.H. DeLuca. 2006. Charcoal and shrubs modify soil processes in ponderosa pine forests of western Montana. Plant and Soil 287:257-266.
- Gundale, M.J. and T.H. DeLuca. 2006. Temperature and source material influence the chemical properties of charcoal in the ponderosa pine/Douglas-fir ecosystem. Forest Ecology and Management 231:86-93.
- Gundale, M.J., K.L. Metlen, C.E. Feidler, and T.H. DeLuca. 2006. Nitrogen spatial heterogeneity increases diversity following restoration in a ponderosa pine forest, Montana. Ecological Applications 16:479-489.
- MacKenzie, D.M., T.H. DeLuca, and A. Sala. 2006. Fire exclusion and nitrogen mineralization in low elevation forests of western Montana. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 38:952-961.
- DeLuca, T. H., M.D. MacKenzie, M.J. Gundale, and W.E. Holben. 2006. Wildfire-produced charcoal directly influences nitrogen cycling in forest ecosystems. Soil Science Society America Journal 70:448-453.
- Thorpe, A., V. Archer, and T.H. DeLuca. 2006. The invasive forb, Centaurea maculosa, increases phosphorus availability in Montana grasslands.Applied Soil Ecology 32:118-122.
- Gentili F., M-C. Nilsson, O. Zackrisson, T.H. DeLuca and A. Sellstedt. 2005. Feather moss-N2 fixing cyanobacteria association: physiological and molecular diversity of the associative cyanobacteria genera. Journal of Experimental Botany 56:3121-3127.
- Hart, S.C., T.H. DeLuca, G.S. Newman, M.D. MacKenzie, and S.I. Boyle. 2005. Post-fire vegetative dynamics as drivers of microbial community structure and function in forest soils. Forest Ecology and Management 220:166-184.
- Gundale, M.J. W.M. Jolly, and T.H. DeLuca. 2005. Susceptibility of a northern hardwood forest to exotic earthworm invasion. Conservation Biology 19:1075-1083.
- Gundale, M.J., T.H. DeLuca, C.E. Fiedler, P.W. Ramsey, M.G. Harrington, J.E. Gannon. 2005. Restoration management in a Montana ponderosa pine forest: effects on soil physical, chemical and biological properties. Forest Ecology and Management. 213:25-38.
- Lesica, P. and T.H. DeLuca. 2004. Is tamarisk allelopathic? Plant and Soil 267:357-365.
- Zackrisson, O, T.H. DeLuca, M-C. Nilsson, A. Sellstedt, and Berglund. 2004. Nitrogen fixation increases with successional age in boreal forests.Ecology 85:3327–3334.
- MacKenzie, D.M., T.H. DeLuca, and A. Sala. 2004. Forest structure and organic matter analysis along a fire chronosequence in the low elevation forests of western Montana. Forest Ecology and Management 203:331-343.
- Berglund, L., T.H. DeLuca, and O. Zackrisson. 2004. Activated carbon amendment to soil alters nitrification rates in Scots pine forests. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 36:2067-2073.
- Switalski, T A., J.A. Bissonette, T.H. DeLuca, C.H. Luce, and Mary Ann Madej. 2004. Watershed benefits and impacts from road removal: a review.Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment 2:21-28.
- Knudson, J.A., T. Meikle and T.H. DeLuca. 2003. Role of mycorrizal fungi and phosphorus in the arsenic tolerance of Basin wildrye. Journal Environmental Quality 32:2001-2006.
- DeLuca, T.H., O. Zackrisson, M-C. Nilsson, A. Sellstedt. 2002. Quantifying nitrogen-fixation in feather moss carpets of boreal forests. Nature419:917-920.
- DeLuca, T.H., M-C. Nilsson, and O. Zackrisson. 2002. Nitrogen mineralization and phenol accumulation along a fire chronosequence in northern Sweden. Oecologia 133:206-214.
- Zabinski, C.A., DeLuca, T.H., D.C. Cole, and O. Seastone-Moynahan. 2002. Impact and restoration of subalpine campsites in the Eagle Cap Wilderness. Restoration Ecology 10:275-281.
- Six, D., M. Vander Meer, T.H. DeLuca, P. Kolb. 2002. Pine engraver, Ipis pini (Say), colonization of logging residues created using alternative slash management systems in western Montana. Western Journal of Applied Forestry. 17:96-100.
- Choromanska, U. and T.H. DeLuca. 2002. Microbial activity and nitrogen mineralization in forest mineral soils following heating: evaluation of post-fire effects. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 34:263-271.
- Choromanska, U. and T.H. DeLuca. 2001. Prescribed fire alters the effect of wildfire on soil biochemical properties in a ponderosa pine forest. Soil Science Society of America Journal 65:232-238.
- Lesica, P. and T.H. DeLuca. 2000. Sweetclover: A Potential Problem for the Northern Great Plains. Journal of Soil Water Conservation 55:259-261.
- DeLuca, T.H. and K.L. Zouhar. 2000. Effects of selection harvest and prescribed fire on the soil nitrogen status of ponderosa pine forests. Forest Ecology and Management 138:263-271.
- Morse, C.C., I. V. Yevdokimov, and T.H. DeLuca. 2000. In situ extraction of rhizosphere organic compounds from contrasting plant communities.Communications in Soil Science and Plant Analysis 31:725-742.
- Newland, J. and T.H. DeLuca. 2000. Influence of fire on native nitrogen fixing plants and the soil N status of ponderosa pine forests in western Montana. Canadian Journal Forest Research 30:274-282.