Dental Hygiene at the University of Washington
University of Washington, Dental Hygiene
High School Students
UW Students
Career Change
Graduate Degrees
Washington License
Patients & Providers

University of Washington Department of Dental Public Health Sciences

Career Change

If you are currently working in a different field but wish to pursue a dental hygiene career, you need to apply to “pre-license” (“entry-level”) dental hygiene programs. The University of Washington does not offer such a program.

This also applies if you have earned any type of degree with a major other than dental hygiene—yes, also master’s and doctoral degrees, including any type of degree in dentistry. The programs to which you apply will inform you about prerequites, requirements and transfer credits.

The American Dental Hygienists’ Association offers at its website two lists of entry level programs in the USA:

You ought to contact all possible programs and check out their prerequisites and requirements, also seek the assistance of your high school advisor. It is advisable to apply for admission at several programs

What if you are planning to attend the University of Washington or are now a matriculated student at the University of Washington? You have two options:

  1. Enroll in courses that at the University of Washington that satisfy the prescribed (prerequisite) courses for another college or university that offers an entry-level dental hygiene program. Then, transfer credits to an accredited dental hygiene program that offers an entry program. (See above.)
  2. Complete a University of Washington bachelor’s degree (BS or BA) with a major related to the basic or behavioral sciences or humanities, then apply to an entry-level dental hygiene program. (See above.)

A complete list of dental hygiene programs in the USA is found at the American Dental Hygienists’ Association web site (



Box 357475 • Health Sciences Building B-509 • Seattle, WA 98195-7475, USA • Tel.: 206-543-5820 • Fax: 206-685-4258