EMERGENCY MEDICINE PRECEPTORSHIP - MED EM 501
The Emergency Medicine Preceptorship provides opportunities for first and second-year medical students to gain experience working in an emergency setting. Students shadow faculty in Emergency Medicine during faculty shifts.
Preceptorships are offered at Harborview Medical Center, UW Medical Center and occasional openings at Seattle Children's Hospital.
We have limited availability each quarter. Please e-mail Alexis Rush at email@example.com to put your name on a wait list for your preferred quarter.
You must be a 1st or 2nd year student at the University of Washington. We do not accept non-UW medical students at this time.
Objectives for the Preceptorships
By the end of the preceptorship, students will:
- Have an increased knowledge of the practice of Emergency Medicine
- Be more comfortable in patient encounters through early patient contact
- An opportunity for students to observe and possibly practice doctor-patient communication skills
- Have an increased knowledge of the basics of doctor/patient communication
- Complete 32 hours of shadowing with their assigned preceptor
- Complete precept hours within the UW upper campus quarter dates
- Complete an online preceptorship experience evaluation (students will receive an email with a link to a Catalyst evaluation survey upon completion of the course)
- Wear UW issued student ID in the ED at all times.