First-year UW SOM students 2015-16 - Shadowing opportunities
Beginning in the Fall of 2015, we will offer shadowing experiences in the HMC and UWMC EDs for 1st year students. This is meant to complement the revised curriclum, as formal preceptorships will no longer be offered. Students will be able to shadow a maximum of 16 hours per quarter.
More information to come in mid-to-late August, please check back for updates!
EMERGENCY MEDICINE PRECEPTORSHIP - MED EM 501 - 2015-16
The Emergency Medicine Preceptorship provides opportunities for second-year medical students to gain experience working in an emergency setting. Students shadow faculty in Emergency Medicine during faculty shifts.
Preceptorships are offered at Harborview Medical Center, UW Medical Center and occasional openings at Seattle Children's Hospital.
We have limited availability each quarter. Please e-mail Alexis Rush at firstname.lastname@example.org to put your name on a wait list for your preferred quarter.
You must be a 2nd year student at the University of Washington. We do not accept non-UW medical students at this time.
Objectives for the Preceptorships
By the end of the preceptorship, students will:
- Have an increased knowledge of the practice of Emergency Medicine
- Be more comfortable in patient encounters through early patient contact
- An opportunity for students to observe and possibly practice doctor-patient communication skills
- Have an increased knowledge of the basics of doctor/patient communication
- Complete 32 hours of shadowing with their assigned preceptor
- Complete precept hours within the UW upper campus quarter dates
- Complete an online preceptorship experience evaluation (students will receive an email with a link to a Catalyst evaluation survey upon completion of the course)
- Wear UW issued student ID in the ED at all times.