Volunteers Needed!

Hello ECC Community!

My name is Maile Kaneko and I am a Student Programming Assistant as well as the Volunteer Coordinator here at the Ethnic Cultural Center. I wanted to take a moment to share my story with you as well as provide an opportunity for you all to get involved with the ECC Construction Project.

In 2007 I transferred to the UW from another 4-year school in Los Angeles. I remember the first day on campus when I was surrounded by crowds of students, faculty, and staff, yet I still felt alone. In a campus that serves 40,000 students, I knew where I could find community: the Ethnic Cultural Center. So I ventured my way to 3931 Brooklyn Avenue, and here, in this space I have found mentors when I’ve sought advice, food to feed an empty stomach, and life-long friends.

The ECC has taught me leadership skills, fostered my identity development, allowed me to engage in dialogue across difference, and provided me a community and family where I am challenged, supported, and embraced.

I know each of us have our own stories of the role the Ethnic Cultural Center has played in our experience at the University of Washington. Here is our chance to share that story and give back to a community who has provided us with so much.

As many of you know, the Ethnic Cultural Center will be temporarily moving to the 7th floor of Condon Hall as we construct a new Ethnic Cultural Center here at 3931 Brooklyn Ave. The new building will have three stories as well as 25,000 sq ft of space that will provide a large multi-purpose room that can hold 250 people, more meetings spaces, more student organization offices, a dance studio, lounge and outside community deck, student project workroom, bigger kitchen, family bathrooms, and more.

But we need to get the word out!

From creating posters to shooting films to packing boxes…our community needs us! Come volunteer with the ECC Hard Hats! Who are the ECC Hard Hats you ask? We are a group of students who are giving back to our community. We are supporters of diversity, inclusion, and collaboration. The Hard Hats is a great opportunity to get involved.

* Tabling
* Presenting and Public Speaking
* Arts and Crafts
* Programming
* Acting/Skits
* Community Forums

Any skills and talents you can bring will help us to make the construction project a success! Click on the “Get Involved” tab to register and find more information.

Sincerely,

Maile Kaneko