The M.A.T. program is designed for teachers of English generally at the
secondary and community college levels. The program may be completed within
four full-time quarters or pursued part-time, within the
45 credits, including:
- Three courses with a stated orientation on teaching English.
- Four courses, one in each of the following:
- English language or linguistics
- rhetoric and/or composition
- literary criticism or critical theory
- MAT Essay on a topic chosen by the student.
- Teaching experience. Students with little or no formal
teaching experience are required to take at least 6 credits of English 601
the English Graduate Office are available to answer questions concerning
and program requirements.