Language proficiency can be fulfilled up to three years
prior to entering Graduate School at the University of Washington.
Otherwise, it must be approved prior to conferral of the MA degree.
MA > Language Proficiency.
Intermediate-level reading competency in a language other than modern or Middle English.
- A 3.0 or higher in the final course of a second-year college-level course sequence (or more advanced), taken within three years prior to entrance; or
- Approved professional verification of native-speaker reading ability in another language; or
- A passing score on a language exam administered by the
University of Washington Office of Educational Assessment; or
- Completion of Advanced Old English language and literature (Engl 513) with a grade of 3.0 or better.
- Comparable alternatives (e.g., study abroad or summer immersion program) approved by the Director of Graduate Studies.
100-400-level courses do not count toward the
40 graduate credits required for the degree.