B.A., State University of New York, Stony Brook, 1970
M.A., University of Michigan, 1971
Ph.D., University of Michigan, 1982
Areas of Specialization
(Critical) Discourse Analysis (rhetorics in times of national crisis; linguistic constructions of gender, race, ethnicity); critical applied linguistics & second language studies.
- War of Words: Language, Politics, and 9/11. 2nd ed. Routledge. 2004.
- Reader's Choice. With Clarke and Dobson. 5th ed. University of Michigan Press. 2008.
- "Constrained but not Determined: Approaches to Discourse Analysis." Handbook of Research in Second Language and Learning. Ed. Eli Hinkel. Vol. II. Routledge. 2011.
- "Dis-covering Peace: Dominant and Counter-Discourses of the Middle East." Dialogue Under Occupation: Language, Education & Media Voices. Eds. I. Nasser, S. Wong, and L. Berlin. Multilingual Matters. 2011.
- "Language and Diaspora." Special-topic issue co-edited with Suresh Canagarajah. Journal of Language and Identity in Education 11.2 (2012) [2 co-authored articles].
- Choice Readings. With Clarke and Dobson. 2nd ed.University of Michigan Press. (in press).
- Languaging War: Discourses of Occupation and Terrorism. (in process).