B.A., University of Houston, 1968
Ph.D., University of Texas, 1978
Areas of Specialization
19th and 20th century British literature; philosophy and literature.
Activities and Interests
International modernism; Nietzsche; Derrida; Wittgenstein; history and theory of criticism; genre theory; aesthetics; poetics; ancient Greek philosophy.
- The Craft of Poetry: Dialogues on Minimal Interpretation. Co-authored with Derek Attridge. Routledge. 2015.
- Spirit Becomes Matter: the Brontes, George Eliot, Nietzsche. U. of Edinburgh Press. 2014.
- Eros in Mourning: Homer to Lacan. Johns Hopkins University Press. 1995.
- Nietzsche’s VoiceCornell University Press. Cornell University Press. 1990.
- Wittgenstein and Derrida. University of Nebraska Press. 1984.