Epi Soul logo image Epi Soul logo image
  1. UW Home |
  2. SPH  |
  3. Other Departments |
online giving


GNM v. Degree Application

If you feel you have a valid reason why you cannot apply in the usual manner for a degree program, explain your reasons for applying GNM in your statement of purpose. (More information about the statement of purpose is below.) An applicant to a graduate certificate program should follow the statement of purpose requirements for the appropriate certificate program. (Epidemiology only offers the Basic Clinical Research, and Advanced Clinical Research Certificates at this time. Other departments in the School offer additional certificate programs.)

GNM v. NMatr Application

Graduate Non-Matriculated status allows you to count up to 12 graduate credits (3-4 courses) toward a future graduate degree at UW. You must hold a bachelors degree or higher. It requires a multi-part application to the appropriate department. Non-matriculated status only requires a registration form and course approval forms. The Graduate School will NOT count NMatr classes toward a future graduate degree. However, School of Public Health Departments will not make you retake a course if you earn a 3.0 or better. There is some leeway in either status because the SPH requires more credits for a master's degree than the Graduate School. However, in neither status should you take more than a few courses if you are planning to apply for a degree because you will probably have to take additional courses in that case.

How to Apply for NMatr Status

GNM Admission Standards

Admission requirements for GNM in Epidemiology are approximately equivalent to those for admission to a graduate degree program, although the GRE and letters of recommendation are not required. Normally, the Epidemiology Department reserves GNM admission for individuals who need a few epidemiology or biostatistics courses for a job, postdoctoral fellowship position, or Epidemiology graduate certificate program. Due to overcrowding of the core courses, applicants who meet these requirements may not be admitted. Certificate programs usually have additional admission requirements and much earlier deadlines. Admission to GNM status through the Department of Epidemiology does not guarantee admission to a graduate certificate program.

GNM Application Deadlines

GNM application deadlines are approximately 6 weeks prior to the start of each quarter. Earlier is better to improve your chances of obtaining a space in a class and avoiding late registration fees.

How to Apply for GNM Status

  • Apply to the Graduate School using your email address & password.

  • Create a new "applicant profile" for your Graduate School application.

  • After completing your profile, select Graduate Non-Matriculated in Epidemiology. If you primarily wish to take public health genetics or genetic epidemiology courses, apply through that program.

  • Upload your statement of purpose, CV, and scans of your transcripts (including a UW transcript for any coursework here. An unofficial transcript through MyUW is fine). In your statement of purpose, INCLUDE ALL OF THE FOLLOWING: your educational and professional background, your reasons for wanting to take Epidemiology and Biostatistics courses as a GNM student, which courses you hope to take and how the training will contribute to your specific career or educational goals. If you are simultaneously applying to a certificate program, you should follow the statement instructions for the applicable certificate. See Non-Matriculated Courses for course information.

  • An international applicant without a U.S. degree or medical license who has not earned at least a bachelor's degree taught entirely in English, must also provide an acceptable TOEFL or IELTS score from a test taken within the past 2 years by the application deadline.

Dates of Instruction: See the Academic Calendar

Course Information
Non-Matriculated Application
Non-Matriculated Course Information
Non-Matriculated Registration
Non-Matriculated Tuition and Fees
Faculty/Staff Tuition Exemption

This page was last updated on July 9, 2012