- English language test scores are required from all international applicants, permanent residents, and U.S. citizens without a
bachelor's degree or higher from the United States, Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, United Kingdom or one of a few smaller
countries. See list of exempt countries.
- If an applicant holds a bachelor's degree taught entirely in English, he or she may be exempted from taking an English test by
sending an original letter from the registrar of his/her university/college on institutional letterhead with original ink signature from
the appropriate official certifying that the bachelor's was taught entirely in English. Check your application status page after
receiving an offer of admission for instructions on sending the letter to the UW Graduate School (do not send to the Epidemiology
- The English score requirement may not be waived except in the instances listed here. No exceptions are allowed by Graduate
- English Language test scores are strongly recommended for international students who have a GRE verbal or analytic writing score
below the desired target score (top 25th-20th percentile or higher), even if an English test is not required.
- Scores are valid for two years (to the date UW receives your score). If your scores are more than two years old, then you must retake
- TOEFL, IELTS or PTE (Academic Test) are the only acceptable
tests. The USMLE is not acceptable.
- Minimum Scores:
- Minimum TOEFL Score: 92
- Minimum IELTS Score: 7.0
- Minimum PTE: 65
- The UW does not allow admission conditional upon achieving the required English language test score.
- Test Registration
- Take the test the prior summer so you can retake it in October if needed.
- The first week of November is the absolute latest you can take the test.
- Scores are due by December 15 at UW Graduate Admissions.
- Register Early-Test centers fill months in advance. Register online.
- Register at www.toefl.org
- Order TOEFL scores to be sent directly from ETS to UW Graduate Enrollment Management Systems. UW Institution Code:
4854. Department code not needed. (If you used one, it does not matter which one.)
- To Expedite TOEFL Scores:
- Allow at least 13 business days after the test date.
- View your scores online
- Print your scores from the web.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org your full name, test registration number, exam date,
exam location, birth date, scores and percentiles.
- We can verify (but not obtain) your scores from TOEFL.
- Register at www.ielts.org.
- Order IELTS scores to be sent directly to Graduate Admissions
Return to Application Instructions