- The GRE General Test is required from all applicants, except the following:
- Applicants to a terminal MS or MPH who hold a U.S. MD, DDS, PhD, ScD, DVM or equivalent. Applications with other doctorates must provide GRE
scores. (Applicants with foreign doctorates must take the
GRE.) A US-licensed physician who is a UW postdoctoral fellow without a US doctorate applying to a terminal master's may petition
email@example.com to request a GRE waiver. No other waiver petitions will be considered.
- Applicants from the UW Medical Scientist Training Program (to EPI PhD) or from an MD student at UW (to Epi MPH or MS), should
submit his/her MCAT scores instead. Non-UW medical students applying for an MS or MPH and non-MSTP UW MD applicants to the PhD must submit GRE scores.
- Scores > 5 years old are invalid; please retake the exam.
- No GRE subject test is required.
- Target Scores: The Epidemiology Department does not use cut-off scores, nor does it guarantee admission based on high GRE scores.
The Admissions Committee likes to see scores in the 75th to 80th percentile or higher.
- Register early at www.gre.org; test centers fill months in advance.
- Take the GRE in the summer so you can retake it in October if needed. Early November is the latest to reach UW in time.
- Order GRE scores to be sent directly from ETS to UW.
- UW Institution Code: 4854; Department code not needed. (If you used one, it does not matter.)
- December is too late.
- If you take the GRE in November, expedite the scores to UW as indicated below.
- Deadline for GRE scores to be received by UW: December 15
- Computer test scores take about 4 weeks, not 10 days, to reach UW.
- Paper test scores require at least 6 weeks to reach UW.
- To Expedite Test Scores:
- Obtain scores and percentiles from GRE by phone (fee required).
- Allow at least 10 business days after the test date before calling.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org your full name, test registration number, exam date, exam location, birth date, scores and percentiles.
- We can verify (but not obtain) your scores with ETS.
- UW does not allow admission conditional upon achievement of acceptable scores.
UW Direct Application, or Prospective Students