Letters of Recommendation
- Three references are required; five are allowed.
- Locate and contact your recommenders at least a month in advance of the application deadline to find out if they are willing to
provide an electronic reference and to allow adequate time for them to respond.
- As soon as you enter a recommender's contact information electronically, he or she will receive an email request.
- Types of references Required:
- One (preferably two) reference(s) from a professor(s) or equivalent academic source who knows your work well.
- One (or more) letter(s) that speaks to your research potential is especially helpful.
- Letters from recommenders holding a doctorate (or a non-us equivalent) carry much more weight than letters without such
credentials. A letter from a public health professional with a master's degree might serve as a fourth reference.
- Letters from professors or supervisors in fields unrelated to public health, health sciences, mathematics or quantitative
social sciences carry significantly less weight.
- Letters from colleagues, as opposed to supervisors, carry very little weight.
- Do not send letters from relatives, non-professional sources, and other students.
- You are allowed to change a reference to/from electronic upload to postal mail, if requested by the recommender, by deleting the
recommender and re-adding him/her with the correct delivery method.
- It is the applicant's responsibility to make sure references are submitted by December 15. The application submission deadline is
Specialized Reference Required for UW Postdoc Fellows
- A UW postdoc fellow (or potential fellow) must provide a reference from his/her fellowship director and research or lab mentor
certifying that the applicant will be allowed release time to attend class on a regular basis. This requires flexible clinic/lab schedules
because core course times vary depending on the quarter. The first year requires class attendance 5 days/week.
Send your Recommenders the Following Information:
- Also send them a scanned copy of your transcripts and your electronic resume or CV.
For Recommenders of Applicants to the Epidemiology Department, University of Washington:
- Each recommender will receive a system-generated email request to submit an on-line reference (much preferred to paper or email) so he or she
should make sure that the request is not discarded as spam.
- Recommenders should comment in detail about the accomplishments, training and experience that qualify the applicant for a degree and
career in epidemiology and public health. Evaluation of the applicant's health science research experience is especially helpful, if
- Clinical residency or fellowship references are inadequate, as are references that are only general in nature.
- The Receipt Deadline for references is December 15.
- A recommender may receive a system-generated email that says the deadline is December 1. The Graduate School application system is
programmed that way, so the Epidemiology Department cannot correct it.
- Late references may prevent consideration or reduce admission chances for the applicant.
- If the recommender insists on using postal mail, the mailing and express courier address is below:
Epidemiology Program Office, UWBox 357236
F263 Health Sciences Building
1959 NE Pacific Street
University of Washington
Seattle, WA 98195-7236
Phone: 206-543-6302 or 685-1762
Application Submission Instructions