Harvey Checkoway, PhD, MPH, BA
Affiliate Professor, Env. and Occ. Health Sciences
University of California (San Diego)
Occupational and environmental risk factors for non-infectious diseases, especially cancers, Parkinson disease, respiratory disorders
PhD, Epidemiology, University of North Carolina 1978
MPH, Epidemiology, Yale University 1975
BA, Psychology, Boston University 1971
• Parkinsonism risk and progression among professional welders (PI, NIEHS)
• Endotoxin exposure and risk of parkinsonism (PI, NIEHS)
• Lifetime uvB exposure, Vitamin D, and multiple sclerosis (PI, National Multiple Sclerosis Society)
• Imaging biomarkers of neurotoxicity in welders (Co-I, NIEHS)
• Haptoglobin phenotype and smoking: effects on iron levels in Parkinson disease (Co-I, NINDS)
Lundin JL, Checkoway H. Endotoxin and cancer. Environ Health Perspect 2009;117:1344-1350.
Hofmann JN, Keifer MC, De Roos AJ, Fenske RA, Furlong CE, van Belle G, Checkoway H. Occupational determinants of serum cholinesterase inhibition among organophosphate-exposed agricultural pesticide handlers in Washington state. Occup Environ Med 2010;67:375-386.
Firestone JA, Powers KM, Smith-Weller T, Franklin GM, Swanson PD, Longstreth WT Jr, Checkoway H. Occupational risk factors for Parkinson's disease: a population-based case-control study. Am J Ind Med 2010;53:217-223.
Checkoway H, Ray R, Lundin J, et al. Lung cancer and exposures other than cotton dust and endotoxin among women textile workers in Shanghai, China. Occup Environ Med 2011;68:425-429.
Nielsen SS, Gallahger LG, Lundin JL, Longstreth WT, Powers KM, Smith-Weller T, Franklin GM, Swanson PD, Checkoway H. Environmental tobacco smoke and Parkinson disease. Mov Disord, 2012;27:293-297 .
*full bibliography available in CV
SciVal Experts Page